The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

How I moved WPMU to a new server (7 posts)

1. thatposhgirl
    Posted 17 years ago #

After some trial and error I got my blogs from http://cherrylipgloss.com/cherryblogs/ to http://cherryblogs.net

Here is how I did it.

I know this will be like "tell me something I don't already know" to some people but maybe some people will find this information useful. This may not be the "right" or "perfect" way but it worked for me.

First of all, I did a fresh install of wp on the new server.

I opened phpmyadmin for my database on the old server. I clicked on export.

I ticked:
    structure
    Add DROP TABLE
    Add IF NOT EXISTS
    Add AUTO_INCREMENT value
    data
    Use hexadecimal for binary fields

I selected "save as file" and "zipped." Then I clicked the "Go" button.

After the file downloaded I open the .sql file into EditPlus.

I deleted this stuff:

-- phpMyAdmin SQL Dump
    -- version 2.7.0-pl2
    -- http://www.phpmyadmin.net
    --
    -- Host: blahblah
    -- Generation Time: Sep 06, 2006 at 04:18 PM
    -- Server version: blahblah
    -- PHP Version: blahblah
    --
    -- Database: blablblah
    --
    CREATE DATABASE blahblah;
    USE blahblah;

--

Then I used find and replace to:
    * replace all occurances of the old url with the new url.
    * replace all occurances of the old absolute path with the new absolute path
    * remove the subdirectory name. The old installation was in a subdirectory so I had to remove the subdirectory name from the user data. If you are moving from a root install to a new root install this is not necessary. If you are moving from a subdirectory install to another subdirectory install the subdirectory needs to be replaced with the new one. If you are moving from a root install to a subdirectory install the new subdirectory needs to be added which probably needs to be done by hand)

After doing that I opened up phpmyadmin for the new database. I clicked databases, then clicked the database name, then clicked the "SQL" tab at the top of the screen. A text entry area came up. I copied the file from EditPlus and pasted it into the text entry area. I clicked "Go" and waited. After a while a thing came up saying it was successful.

That's it!

Now, if any knowledgable people have read this far; any advice on how to redirect users to the new installation?

2. quenting
    Posted 17 years ago #

past a few hundred blogs, phpmyadmin is unusable. The thing is, past a few thousand blogs, mysqldump is unusable too.
    That's where the fun begins ;-).

3. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Export out and edit the file with Ultraedit. I drop multiple meg files in there all the time. :)

The author is a bit of a religious wacko nut but his software can't be beat. :)

4. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

That all sounds about right to me. :) Also, in phpadmin, I think there's an import button where you can just upload that edited file, rather than copy/paste.

5. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

If you import through phpMyAdmin, you run into the issue with php's largest file upload setting.

6. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

True - I forgot about that bit. :) The size limit is workable though, wish I could remember how large it would handle without issue. (I did it a few dozen times myself)

7. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Depends on how the server is installed and what the defaults are. Mine are set to 50megs but that's not standard. It's more like 4 megs up to 16megs on a 4 gig of memory machine.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by thatposhgirl
  • Latest reply from drmike