The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Issues with Add User (8 posts)

1. mshao
    Posted 17 years ago #

I have seen two issues with Add User.

1. Once a user is added (by entering a valid email address and choosing a role), the page list the user under the proper role, but with "N/A" as email value, and under Actions there is no options such as Edit. So if I need to change the role, I have to delete and add the user again.

2. Blogger 1 (B1) added Blogger 2 (B2) as a Subscriber. B2 logins into B1 blog site. On the Site Admin page, three tabs are available, Dashboard, Manage, and Profile. The first question is why B2 can see the Manage tab. But more seriously, as soon as B2 clicks on Manage tab, the whole page becomes B2's Site Admin page, with all the B2 admin tabs shown.

Hope I have described the issues clearly.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks

2. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

1 - are you adding a user from the community, or just out of the blue? That box is to add someone from the community - they'd have to sign up on the system first.

2 - So B2 sees their own blog's info? Sounds right to me. The system knows whp they are and is shpwing them things associated with that user. Kinda like how even when the site admin is in the backend of a user's blog, the main Site Admin menus are still available.

3. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

The Subscriber level has been removed from Wp.com as it was noticed that it was a work around if allowing more than 5 users into a private blog. (That may not be true but the timing was very close.) I wonder if that level will disappear in the WPMu software as well.

4. mshao
    Posted 17 years ago #

andrea:
    1. The user (B2) had already signed up when B1 added him.

2. I take your points.

Please advise on the #1 if possible.

Thanks

5. mshao
    Posted 17 years ago #

I just tried to add a user with Contributor role. After this added user login to the host site, menus are display properly. Even after click Manage tab, it stays in the host's SiteAdmin page. So I think my initial issue (#2 in the first post) with Subscriber role was a bug.

Should I remove Subscriber role? How?

Thanks

6. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

I just tried to add a non-user's email address as a subscriber to my blog, as one of my users just had that problem.

Confusingly:
    1) There is no message telling you the user you add must already be a user.
    2) If you try, it fails without giving an error message.

http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/ticket/155

7. mshao
    Posted 17 years ago #

I observe the same thing when adding an email whose owner has not signed up for my site. So we have two issues here. The other one is regarding the Subscriber role.

Thanks

8. anurspas
    Posted 16 years ago #

Adding new user issues

1.We are using WordPress MU at rspas.anu.edu.au/blogs
    However, we don't want the upper level to be a blog.
    We just want to use it as the Site Admin and to add blogs.
    However, we would like the Blog Administrators to be able to add their own users. Can we do this? Is there some plugin or code we can change.
    2. Alternative, if this can't be done. The problem is that when a new user is added by Site Admin, we give them no role in the upper blog ie rspas.anu.edu.au/blogs , but the generated email gives the new user a link to login, which takes them to profile.php, and tells them 'You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page'. Is this because they have no role in the upper level blog? is there a way around this?

About this Topic