The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

MU Admin Bar showing incorrectly (29 posts)

1. stutley
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hey all,

I just downloaded the MU Admin Bar from wpmudev.org and installed it in my mu-plugins folder. Also I edited themes to increase padding-top by 28 pixels.

It works fine in Firefox, but has some issues on IE though:

1. It shows at the bottom of the page.
    2. It is too wide making a horizontal scroll bar show up.

I'm looking forward to some constructive suggestions ;)

Phillip.

2. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Is this happening on any specific theme or all of them?

What browser resolution do you have your screen set at?

3. stutley
    Posted 17 years ago #

Well, in general the Admin Bar is showing on most themes. There are some on which it don't - on IE and FF as well.

On the themes that it does work on, though, it always shows on the bottom if viewed in IE. And it's consequently too wide - except on some themes where it shows up inside a wrapper div; only on IE though.

My screen resolution is set at 1024x768.

4. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

stutley, add the following code:

<?php wp_admin_bar(); ?>

just before the start of your "body" tag in your header.php files for the themes where it is broken.

For me I added it in all of my themes because I hate IE.

5. stutley
    Posted 17 years ago #

suleiman > Thanks very much! It seems to be working :)

6. stutley
    Posted 17 years ago #

Oops, I was in a hurry there :)

The problem of the admin bar being too wide in IE is still there? :)

7. kahless
    Posted 17 years ago #

I know a large percentage of users still use IE, but I don't have a copy of IE and I developed this mainly for my site where I tell people it's FF or all bets are off. It is a college campus and FF is our supported browser so I can get away with it. Consequently, I don't even claim that it will work with IE. It should work with FF. It has worked in FF on all the themes I have tried. If there is a specific list of themes that it has trouble with in FF, I'd be interested in see it.

8. stutley
    Posted 17 years ago #

kahless > I haven't come across any themes that it doesn't work with in FF. But I'll let you know if I find any.

I am sick and tired of IE! :D

9. kahless
    Posted 17 years ago #

Ironically some themes don't have a footer do_action in the footer.php file and in those themes it won't work unless you do as suleiman suggests. It'd sure be nice if every theme had all the hooks.

10. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

And if IE didn't suck.

11. Ba22Man
    Posted 17 years ago #

kahless said "I developed this mainly for my site where I tell people it's FF or all bets are off."

If you develop this mainly for your own site then dont release it on the public.. You know a lot of people uses IE..

12. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

I see nothing wrong in releasing it to the public. Just as long as you make sure that others can update it when they find fixes for IE.

i.e. we need to be able to share a project, but as summarised on http://codex.wordpress.org/WPMUDEV.org - sharing a project is one of wpmudev.org's shortcomings.

(Please update that page to reflect the summary of any new insights)

13. kahless
    Posted 17 years ago #

Ba22Man,

As many other have said in the Forums, you need to know a little about coding PHP and MySQL before setting up a WPMU site. If you have those skills then I figured you can hack the plugin to fit your site. My site has a different look than what I "released on the public," which is more generic to work with more sites. As I said I am happy to incorporate changes for IE, but I'd rather people stop using it which might force MS to pay attention to standards. How can IE ever get better if everyone makes concessions in their designs to make them work with IE. It's like saying you want a person with a broken leg to walk again but then you carry them everywhere and let their muscles atrophy. They'll never get better, such is the world of IE web design.

14. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

is IE 7 more standards compliant? I for one hope so. But if Windows Genuine Advantage stops people from doing the upgrade i'll probably hate microsoft even more.

15. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

From what I've seen IE7 is tremendously more compliant... although in itself, that causes an issue, as many sites have a lot of hacks that detect IE that IE7 does not want.

16. Ba22Man
    Posted 17 years ago #

why do i need to hack that gay plugin? lol

17. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

Ba22Man, the MU Admin Bar plugin is one of the most popular plugins in this community. I for one and many others made countless requests for the functionality this plugin provides and are extremely grateful to kahless for his work in putting it together. If you're not going to use it then that's fine, but there's no reason to put something down just because you don't know how to use it.

18. Ba22Man
    Posted 17 years ago #

lol.. im just joking dude.. i got it working already... slight modification and it will work perfectly in IE..

19. kahless
    Posted 17 years ago #

I would be more than happy, as I am sure others would, to have your IE changes in the project on wpmudev.org. drmike made a number of additions and fixed a bug from the original WP plugin. I just credited all his bits in the code.

20. chris
    Posted 17 years ago #

I managed to fix the display issue in IE for, 1 the width and 2 being at the bottom, by changing;

#wp-admin-bar { /* part of hack to make the bar show at the top of all templates */
    position: fixed;
    top: 0;
    left: 0;
    width: 80%;
    }

#wp-admin-bar-right { /* part of hack to make the bar show at the top of all templates */
    position: fixed;
    right: 0;
    width: 20%;
    }

to

#wp-admin-bar { /* part of hack to make the bar show at the top of all templates */
    position:absolute;
    left: 0;
    width: 80%;
    }

#wp-admin-bar-right { /* part of hack to make the bar show at the top of all templates */
    position:absolute;
    right: 0;
    width: 20%;
    }

Starting around line 199 in the mu-admin-bar.php, hope that helps someone.

21. kahless
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'll change the project code and upload it to wpmudev.org in the next week or so. Thanks.

22. skcsknathan001
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hey KAHLESS,

you didn't update the wpmudev.org with the style sheet fix of CHRIS.
    If that is added SULEIMAN's <?php wp_admin_bar(); ?> fix is not needed.

23. skcsknathan001
    Posted 17 years ago #

I installed the MU admin bar. It works great and all with the fix from the forum thread.

But the bar doesn't have the admin links when the user in a different blog. The user is still logged in and can comment on other's blog. But the links at the top says "Main blog" and "Get a blog".

In WordPress, if you are logged in, you see the admin links in ALL WordPress blogs.

24. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Your right it does. Care to write the code to fix it? :)

25. kahless
    Posted 17 years ago #

If you are not an admin on the blog then you shouldn't have rights to any of those functions so you only see "Get a blog" and "Main blog". The plugin just uses an if to see if you have admin rights on the blog and if so uses the regular dashboard code to show the links. You'd have to do something different to have it link back to your blogs admin features when you're on someone else's blog. If you login as the admin for the site you'll notice you have access to the admin features on all blogs as you should.

26. kahless
    Posted 17 years ago #

1.4.1 has been uploaded and has the IE fix.

27. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

hi guys,

latest version 1.4.1

it works for me but something is wrong, whenever I visit a site for the first time I get this warning:

You're not allowed to directly link to this .js file on our server!

test it here: http://sibiu.zice.ro

28. demonicume
    Posted 16 years ago #

ok, so i've been kicking around this bar for about a week now. it doesnt work correctly in all themes. some themes dont have '<?php wp_footer(); ?>'. adding that code fixes the bar on most themes, but not all. Andreas04 and SGDark/silent_bits are two of them. it should be noted that a few plugins like Gregarious dont function properly on those themes either. i havent figured out why yet. adding suleiman's code

'<?php wp_admin_bar(); ?>'

didnt fix the problem in every instance. On Andreas04 the background image didnt show at all and the menu was displayed as a vertical unsorted list. CSS conflict with Andreas04? in the themes SGDark and Silent_bits, the bar shows up at the top of the footer for no reason that i can see. there's nothing at the top of the footer but DIV tags. the bar should function. i used the updated version.

just thinking out loud here... there are some features i want to add to the bar, i just dont quite know how yet. when users use the Doc's Next Blog plugin [which rocks, thanx Doc], theyre stranded on whatever blog they land on. there needs to be a button/link on the bar that takes the user back to their personal blog and one to their admin area.

i'm working on integrating the login/logout hack into the bar so that users dont have to leave the page to login. that adds an unnecessary step.

29. demonicume
    Posted 16 years ago #

i stand corrected. the admin bar works fine. oddly enough, i had to go back from 1.4.1 to 1.4 t get it to work properly. otherwise its great. pls disregard my last post.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by stutley
  • Latest reply from demonicume