The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Does WPMU store everything in the database? (12 posts)

1. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi,
    If I run my wpmu site for a while and then blow away all the files on the disk and install again from scratch, will all my settings and content be retained?

Or a different question: if I want to back up wpmu, do I only need to back up the database?

Looking at the filespace, I guess this is what the wp-content directory is for.

I just want to make sure I get this right.

Thanks, M.

2. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

Related: Does it matter if everything outside of the wp-content directory is read-only, and owned by a different user?

3. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

The only thing it doesn't store in the db is themes, plugins and uploaded files. So yeah, if you wanted to reninstall OR blow stuff away, just keep the db and the wp-content files.

I backup the db and the wp-content dir.

Not sure about the other question.

4. pumpkinslayer
    Posted 17 years ago #

This goes along with a line drmike quoted a while back about Matt's comment to rather not touch core files.

wp-content is for your files (includes themes and plugins)
    the db is all your information
    the rest can be thought of as "program" parts

Personally, I backup everything as wpmu itself is quite small anyway. And because I use cpanel which zips the whole lot once a day and then I download it.

5. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

This goes along with a line drmike quoted a while back about Matt's comment to rather not touch core files.

Oh, where is that? I'd like to read Matt and DrMike's comments.

But there does exist some http://codex.wordpress.org/WPMU_Commonly_Edited_Core_Files - (these are the few I know about - please help if you know of more - & only some of which have tickets in trac)

I do appreciate that donncha has only so much time and factoring out those changes into config items is not as high priority many other developments.

6. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

This is Matt's blog: http://photomatt.net/ He's the big guy behind Wordpress. MU follows WP codebase (those "core files". Donncha, as you know, is the one guy working on the MU aspect of WP. Dr. mike is support in the forums. So that's the rough heirarchy.

7. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

Sure, thanks. I knew the hierarchy here, I was wondering whether someone could point me at the specific article pumpkinslayer was referring to.

8. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'd like to read Matt and DrMike's comments.

I would too actually. I don't remember saying that. Donncha has mentioned in Trac that if an error occurs with the core files, it needs to be brought up over on WP's trac instead of WPMU's trac.

I myself have no issue with hacking away at code, core or otherwise. Only issue is remembering which files I've hacked. I've forgotten on occasion.

And I'm just a volenteer here. Nothing offical. I get stuff comp'ed over at wp.com and someone at Automattic paid for a couple months of hosting with my previous host before they went under. (I wonder if they ever got the refund that they were promised.)

I'm trying to remember to do a backup of the database everyday but with 200+ blogs, I'm up about 10megs of backedup zip. I need to figure out a method of backing up the actual site though. CPanel does it but I don't have an offsite ftp to upload it to. (I do actually with my own servers but there's some legal crap that prevents me from doing so.)

16 more boxes come January. I'm already earmarking one of them for me. Unless my one corporate client takes all of them like he did last time I bought a bunch. :(

9. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Would this help then?
    http://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Coding_Standards

And for MU, yes *some* core files are going to possibly need work, that's why it's still at the stage it is.

10. pumpkinslayer
    Posted 17 years ago #

No intention to misquote...

The quote was from here, to do with using subversion for updating wordpress...

On photomatt.net: "However I strongly recommend never touching core files"

11. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

12. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

It turns out that the location of blogs.dir is set in 6 different places in the code. I do appreciate that some duplication may be necessary due to the dual nature of the wpmu/wp code, but there may be some opportunity to eliminate some of the duplications in pursuit of making it easier to control an installation.

http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/ticket/168

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by mrjcleaver
  • Latest reply from mrjcleaver