The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Attention: Possible Wordpress MU Scam (4 posts)

1. 1aleem
    Posted 17 years ago #

I downloaded the script for Wordpress MU a few days ago and decided that it wasn't for as it didn't do the job that I wanted it to do.
    However I saw another mulitple wordpress script which cost $69, I liked what it had to offer so I purchased it, when I downloaded the script, I noticed that this nearly identical to the wordpress MU. Except it is missing a few files and there is an extra folder.
    I confronted the seller about this, he claims that its not an imitation. He claims the actual script is what you see in this extra folder. In order to run the wordpress using the one set of files he has taken wordpress (originals) and modified them to work with the files located within this folder, they are hand coded, not imitations. He says he does not claim wordpress or mu as his own by no means.

But the two downloads still look quite similiar to me. I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to email me at jibstar1uk [at] hotmail.com and examine his script and tell me whether of not it has been imitated. Thank you.

2. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

WP is released under the GNU license, so he's technically allowed to do that, even though he's slightly misrepresenting it.

3. agent14
    Posted 17 years ago #

But under the GNU license you aren't allowed to sell the project that you modified...

4. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Yes you are. GNU says nothing about charging for product. Just says that a copy of the source code must be given upon request. 'Free software' doesn't not mean without cost.

Please read up on the subject.

Free software'' is a matter of liberty, not price. To understand the concept, you should think of free'' as in free speech,'' not as in free beer.''

About this Topic