The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

How much space do YOUR site use? (13 posts)

1. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

Think of this as a survey of sorts. I'm curious how much space on average wpmu users are taking up. So, if you're interested and have no objection to posting your sites numbers please give us the following information:

1) How much storage your site is using
    2) how many users

This really isn't for any specific purpose. I'm just curious.

2. stutley
    Posted 17 years ago #

1) Just about 200 MB
    2) Just about 250 users

;)

3. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

About the same.

Most of the space is going to be used by file uploads. At least that's what it is on my site.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

1 - 376 Meg
    2 - hard to day and I've been cleaning up and deleting, but somewhere between 250-300.

And just ot add, the db has 2600 tables in it, and the last time I could get a backup, it was 127 Megs unpacked.

5. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

So basically were talking 2-3MB (including db space) per user on average? Atleast that will give people an "idea" of how much space they'll need per user.

6. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

At max for the time being. I'm sure as the site ages, most posts will be created and files will be uploaded.

I ran through my storage usage in this thread in my support forum and the only blog with more than 2 megs usage is the main blog for the site. Everybody else in under 2 megs used.

7. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

It may be average on my site, but I find the users I have that post frequently have run out of space. I give them 10megs, and I hacked the code to resize images on uploads. Most are posting pics.

And yeah, there's gonna be a few users who never or rarely upload. Hmm.. so yeah - if an administrator was trying to figure out how much space they needed, a 2Meg avg would be a good place to start, if they had a sense of how many users they were going to get.

8. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm thinking that if a school, college, etc were to use WPMU this would atleast allow them to guestimate how much space they would need based on the number of students. Someone should add this to the codex. Just make sure the word "average" is in there.

9. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

6.5 Gig MySQL database, 10 Gig (guess) Blog-dir, 20K+ users, 4 Gig a day bandwidth.

10. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

Nice to see you back farms.

11. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

I've never really been away - just starting a new job :)

http://blogs.theage.com.au/media/archives/citizen/index.html

Amazing where WPMU can get you.

12. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

Congrats!

13. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Awesome Farms. Missed your input. :)

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by andrewbillits
  • Latest reply from andrea_r