The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Author Image plugin? (15 posts)

1. reyz
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm looking for a way that new users can upload an image in the admin panel, which will be displayed in the sidebar next to their blog. So basically, if they want to have a picture of themselves on their blog (we're limiting themes to just the main site theme), they can.

I'm not that familiar with the WordPress code to implement it myself, so if there is a plugin or something, that would be ideal. Anyone know of anything, or how to do this?

(I searched plugins and found nothing, nor in this forum...)

2. nexia
    Posted 17 years ago #

http://www.samdevol.com/about-me-widget-for-wordpress/

this is the widget made for you.. ;)

Sam made this for the exact same request you just made!

3. reyz
    Posted 17 years ago #

thanks nexia! you rock!

4. reyz
    Posted 17 years ago #

sorry nexia, you still rock, but that solution isn't what I need. I don't want to have widgets enabled, which that plugin requires. Plus, it doesn't allow users to upload a picture, just asks for the url of one (which would require users to have their picture hosted somewhere else, too many steps).

What I need is something (perhaps under presentation? profile?) where the user can simply upload a picture, and it will appear in their blog. (There is only one theme allowed, so there is a fixed spot where it will appear).

Is this something that should be done with a plugin, or just changing code, or. . . I'm not sure if a plugin can even do what I need. Anyone have a solution for this?

5. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

If you want it that stringent, you'll probably have to take that widget code and modify it to be hardcoded in the one theme and stuck in your own backend. That's the only way I can see to get it how you want it.

6. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

reyz, why do you want to disallow widgets?

7. reyz
    Posted 17 years ago #

mrjcleaver - the client wants a very strict blog theme, without allowing a lot of customization. they want it to be their theme, and that's it.

if anyone else has the same question I had, this is the solution I'm rolling with:

http://www.andrewferguson.net/2006/09/20/adding-user-photo-to-wordpress-user-profile/

however, one has to code a bit to get the image to display on the user's blog. This plugin allows the uploading of images, but doesn't do anything with display. . .

8. slipxaway
    Posted 17 years ago #

I've also implemented Andrew Ferguson's plugin and I'm trying to figure out a way to hack the About Me widget to show only the profile picture in the image place. I'm not too skilled in PHP though, so it may take me months to figure it out :)

9. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I just used Comvatars myself.

10. Yosemite
    Posted 17 years ago #

Plus, it doesn't allow users to upload a picture, just asks for the url of one

Not true. Although the About Me widget won't upload it for you, it was designed to use local image files (http://www.myNooBsite.com/wp-content/uploads/myportrait.gif for example).

It does need to know where the image is, however.

There's always some compromise between flexibility and ease-of-use. Or, as my mentor used to say: "Fast, cheap, good. Pick two, because you can't have all three..."

11. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

anyone that has hacked the plugin to make it work, and workin the mu-plugins directory, would you mind posting your working copy here?

I think this could be useful, especially to nexia, he's working on setting up a WPMU Avatars plugin.

12. conpeo
    Posted 17 years ago #

I just plugin the Comvatars, it nice and no need to register third party service to upload images. Blog owner can assign the avatar to their comment author with email activation.
    so that comment authors (blog readers) can't assign avatar themselves.

13. WWDay3
    Posted 16 years ago #

And so, confusion set in...

I just downloaded and installed the latest MU version. I've been exploring the plug-in and widget possibilities. When I came across Sam's "About Me" widget, it seemed exactly what I wanted. So, I went to his page to download it.

The instructions on the page tell me to download the unzipped folder into wp-content/plugins/widgets. Hmmm. I can't find a /widgets folder anywhere.

Further searching reveals that the latest version of WP has widgets built in. Aha! So, I just drop the "About Me" folder into plugins. Nothing. Try again with mu-plugins. Again, nothing. (I'm still trying to figure out the "real" difference between these directories and why some plug-ins work in one directory and not another).

So, where the heck are widgets like the "About Me" widget supposed to be stored in this newest version?

Thanks,
    Wally

14. mrjcleaver
    Posted 16 years ago #

Some plugins work but others don't because mu-plugins don't get born, instead they are forced to live without being able to draw their first breath.

http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=3209&page&replies=38

15. PBO
    Posted 15 years ago #

can this be used in post. We are working on an online store

About this Topic