The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Sitewide RSS feed (for all blogs) with non vhost installation? (14 posts)

1. debrouille
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hello,

i'd like to have a rss-feed with an overview of all blogs (blog name and last posts for each) of a non-vhost installation. The URL whould be like domain.com/blogs/rss, whereas the URL of blogs now are like domain.com/blogs/blog1, domain.com/blogs/blog2, etc...
    RSS is already working for each blog, like domain.com/blogs/blog1/rss

Ist this possible?

Tanks for a tip.

2. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

3. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

How about the sitewide feed plugin?
    http://www.itdamager.com/2005/12/21/wpmu-sitewide-feed/

4. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

Maybe sitewide feed should be on the FAQ?

5. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

It's a seperate plugin. The faq deals with standard default Mu stuff, I should think.

6. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

How about a mu plugins faq?

7. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

If you like. :) (I had thought it was listed on wpmudev.org but it's not)

8. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

While I am principally building the WPMU topics on Codex for my own reference, I'd appreciate if we can make those topics more visible.

http://codex.wordpress.org/WPMU_Plugin_Compatibility has tips that I have collected about plugins.

9. debrouille
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks a lot of those tips! The sitewide feed plugin is exactly what i need.
    Unfortunately the sitewide feed plugin doesn't seem to work for a non-vhost installation... Is that right? Any fix?

10. debrouille
    Posted 17 years ago #

Forgot to say what's the problem:
    WPMU looks like it's searching the blog called "wpmu-feed" as ist says the classic

Could Not Find Blog!
    Searched for domain.com/blogs/ in blogs::wp_blogs table. Is that right?
    Please check that your database contains the following tables:

* wp_blogs
    * wp_users
    * wp_usermeta
    * wp_site
    * wp_sitemeta
    * wp_sitecategories

11. dsader
    Posted 17 years ago #

Try this?
    Here's what I do: in site feed options set Trigger Blog ID to be any active blog other than 1.
    Then point your rss reader to:
    http://www.site.org/username of Trigger Blog ID/wpmu-feed/

dsader

12. debrouille
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks! I even made an extra blog called "feed" so the rss url isn't related to a user blog (which is confusing). So the rss url is like domain.com/blogs/feed/rss
    where "feed" is the blog i mentioned, and "rss" the "Feed URL (relative path)" in the plugin settings. I would have prefered to have the rss url to be like domain.com/blogs/rss, but this is better than nothing.
    If a user comes on the idea to type domain.com/blogs/feed/ in her browser, then it would show an empty page instead of a 404 because i created an extra empty theme especially for this dummy blog. One could place here an explanation page about rss ;-)
    So thanks again for your help dsader!

13. debrouille
    Posted 17 years ago #

I have successfully installed this plugin (see above) for one wpmu installation, but not for another one. Both are actually similar (one is dev install, the other the production installation i.e. the online version). Plugin settings are axactly the same, php-files also. Only the db is different as the dev db has only a few dummy test blogs and posts, the db of the online version is full of blogs and posts...
    I get an empty result (white page in browser instead of xml output) on domain.com/blogs/feed/rss (see above) on the production blog, although it looks like the db has been filled with rss data (in the _sitemeta table, am i right?).
    I notice another difference: the trigger blog ID is not the same, but in both cases not 1 and both trigger blogs have the same theme (see above).
    To be sure i changed the name of this dummy blog from "feed" to something like "myfeedblog", just in case the name "feed" would be caught bu the .htaccess rewrite rules.
    The question is: any hint where to look for the reason of the problem?
    Thanks in advance ;-)

14. dsader
    Posted 17 years ago #

1. Try this for a simpler edit to a "dummy" blog's theme. Edit the header.php , near the top before the </head> in "dummy" blog's theme:

<frameset rows="100%">
    <frame src="http://domain.org">
    </frameset>
    <noframes>
    Please follow link!
    </noframes>

I read site-wide feed rss from blog 148 while browser looks at blog 1. Cool. And no blank theme.

2. I run with object cache disabled. I'm under 300 blogs, and likely always will be(small high school). I saw feeds not updating after I experimented with object cache and didn't like it. I went onto sitemeta, and everywhere else in the db to manualy (SQL)search for "magpie" and deleted all rss caching. All's well with cache disabled. Try with cache disabled first, maybe?

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by debrouille
  • Latest reply from dsader