The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Themes not displaying properly in IE. (12 posts)

1. slipxaway
    Posted 17 years ago #

This question is based specifically on two themes available at Bloggingthemes.com, UrbanDecay and Graffiti. My site is aimed towards teens, 20 somethings, so these are probably the 2 best themes I've seen and really want to incorporate them into my site.

After installing them, they both display fine in FoxPro, but in IE they are completely messed up. Is this a problem of them not being compatible with MU or is there another reason for this? I'm not very knowledgable with coding, so it's hard for me to just go in there and find the problem, but if someone could point me in the right direction on how to fix it, or what to look for, I think I might be able to manage.

I appreciate any help on this one.

2. slipxaway
    Posted 17 years ago #

Actually, I'm having this same problem with the Blueberry BoatMU 1.5 theme as well, which is in the ThemePack and is MU compatible. So is there another issue here that would be causing themes to not display properly in IE?

3. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

"After installing them, they both display fine in FoxPro, but in IE they are completely messed up. Is this a problem of them not being compatible with MU or is there another reason for this?"

It's an issue with the themes themselves. Not MU.

What issue are you having with Blueberry Boat? Most WP themes work with MU - the ones in the theme pack have been verified by others, widgetized and are just provided so site admins can have a bunch at once.

4. nexia
    Posted 17 years ago #

it is not recommanded to use the themepack from wpmudev.org, because these themes are in no need to be modified from their original version if you want to use them.

use the versions found at http://themes.wordpress.net/ and give a comment about your bugs in the page related to each of the themes you use.

5. slipxaway
    Posted 17 years ago #

The problem with Blueberry Boat and the other themes I mentioned in the original post, is that it doesn't seem to be preserving the style of the fonts in IE. The fonts are much larger and throw off the entire display/layout.

Http://tester.emoscene.com thats currently setup with the Blueberry Boat theme and in IE it just doesn't look right.

Like I said, I'm not a programmer, I'm learning this stuff for WPMU, but with something like this, I'm just not sure where to start.

6. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Weird. In FF, using the IE tab, I'm only seeing a slight difference in the font sizes, which for IE is normal. This is a browser issue, not a WPMU one.

Usually the stylesheet would need to be fixed.

Did you contact the theme authors?

"it is not recommanded to use the themepack from wpmudev.org, because these themes are in no need to be modified from their original version if you want to use them."

Huh? They were really only lightly modified, if at all. I did half of them myself.

7. slipxaway
    Posted 17 years ago #

Not sure, it definitely isn't showing up properly in my IE, not sure why it would be so drastically different on another computer. Like I said though, the other themes display properly in both IE and FireFox, so this leads me to believe that its not my browser, but something specific with the theme. Are there any aspects of stylesheets that IE generally doesn't interpret properly? Or is there a reason my IE would be displaying this differently?

8. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

"Are there any aspects of stylesheets that IE generally doesn't interpret properly? Or is there a reason my IE would be displaying this differently?"

I'm not sure where I would even begin to list them all... Yeah. IE is notoriously bad at it, on many levels. It may even be a combination of what version of Windows and what version of IE you have.

Before you bang your head too much, please contact the theme authors for UrbanDecay and Graffiti. The information is located in the style.css file of each theme.

They may have run into this problem already and have a fix. If they won't then you'll have to dig in and start messing with the font declarations.

9. slipxaway
    Posted 17 years ago #

I did contact them, but I wasn't sure exactly what to ask, since I'm not sure what's causing the problem. I know I looked through the style.css files for UrbanDecay, Graffiti, and BlueBerry Boat, to try to compare them with another theme that works fine, and I'm not really seeing anything that appears out of place, but then again I dont really know what to look for :)

I appreciate the help, but I guess I'm still just completely lost as to what is causing it. I guess the best thing to do since I don't really know coding, is just to download a bunch of different things, and use whatever works and doesn't require hacking :)

10. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Sounds like a plan. :) (and cool domain name, especially for your target audience)

11. slipxaway
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks again for the help. I just decided to go with some other themes that seem to work properly, and they are 'widget ready', so that may save me some hassles later on as well :)

And thanks on the comment about the name, it definitely has some potential, I just gotta get something up there. I've been trying to develop it off and on over the past few months as a social networking site, but all the scripts I downloaded were far too complex for me :)

I'm more of an idea man, I buy a bunch of domains that have potential, but then I don't really know what I'm doing as far as development goes :)

Thanks again!

12. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

There's tons more themes at http://themes.wordpress.net too. unless you are stuck on a particular theme, it's much easier to dump what isn't working and find a new one. There's literally thousands out there.

I'm a great idea person, too. I know just enough to get things going (and get me in trouble) and not enough time to run it all. :D

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by slipxaway
  • Latest reply from andrea_r