The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Add user to your blogroll link? (5 posts)

1. slipxaway
    Posted 17 years ago #

I was wondering if there is any way to add a link to themes which would essentially add that blog to another persons blogroll. Say I have a blog on my site. Another user has a blog on my site as well. I'm viewing their site and if I want to add them to my Blogroll I just click on a link on their blog and it does it automatically.

Basically it would check to see if the viewer is a registered user and logged in, if thats true, then it would add the current blog to their Blogroll.

My site is more like a community, so I want users to be able to find each other's blogs and add each other easily.

Any idea how I would accomplish this?
    Thanks.

2. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

The back end has a bookmarklet in the Blogroll area. All their user does is drag it to their browser's toolbar, and it makes a button they can click when they are on *any* website. This adds the current page to their blog's links (the blogroll).

Will that do? :)

My site is more of a community as well, and the things I've done to help that along is:
    - have most recent posts on the main page
    - have the most recent posts on the Dashboard
    - provide a sitewide feed so members can read everyone

3. slipxaway
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hey thanks again for helping out, I really appreciate it.
    I kind of noticed the option in the Blogroll section, but I wasn't sure exactly what it was for :) I've been trying to find themes and edit them so they all have uniform sidebar features, and that idea popped into my head. But given how it works, I guess the only thing I have to worry about is making users aware of it.

I should probably focus on implementing the other things that you mentioned next. I dont have any users yet, so I want to hold off on it a bit so that way it doesn't look so dead when new users see 0 recent posts :) Gonna give it time for some people to signup and post something first. But I should figure out how to do it now and get the framework in place so I can implement it quickly.

Then I have to try and figure out what widgets are and how I'll place them into my themes :) This is all new to me, so its rather daunting, but so far out of all the attempts Ive made at developing this site, WPMU has been my best experience. I really like it.

4. slipxaway
    Posted 17 years ago #

Oh ok, it doesn't work for IE. I really wish MS would either make IE compatible with the rest of the world or let it die :)

5. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Big tip: before you spend much more time fidling with the sidebars & making them uniform, investigate widgets. They make the sidebars rearrangeable by the users. :) Thus wiping out your work if used.

Lemme know if you need widget help - I do them in my sleep now (when I get it. Sigh.)

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by slipxaway
  • Latest reply from andrea_r