The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Which is your installation Subdomain or Subdirectory? (6 posts)

1. conpeo
    Posted 17 years ago #

survey WPMU installer whats your consideration before start to setup a WordPress Multi-user?

which is more easy to manage? Subdomain or Subdirectory?

give some comment for reference. thanks ;)

2. Spock7291
    Posted 17 years ago #

I use Sub-Directories simply because I don't have to arrange anyting special with my host and it gives a visible difference to the users URL if they have a Blog on my site vice one on WordPresses site.

Since my site has limited space, I go so far as to suggest they come to WordPress if they want more space or options.

3. dsader
    Posted 17 years ago #

I use sub dirs, but that may explain why I grew to be so dependent on these forums.

The recent "nightly" versions install in a snap on my test server, non-vhosts. The 10/10 version worked as expected right out of the box.

The earlier versions required a few tweaks here and there, that can prove frustrating to track down.(ie. activation emails showed vhosts urls instead on subdirs) Do not install an old "nightly" with the /wp-inst/ directory.

Ease of use is definitely to enable vhosts before install. Changing your mind after blogging has begun is a major pain. Don't change your mind later.

My host refused to enable wildcard domains for us lowly peons. A question I wish I knew to ask before forking out the dough for a two year hosting plan. I certainly know more now than I did a year ago.

4. xiand0
    Blocked
    Posted 17 years ago #

It should be mentioned that the .onion domain name system used by the excellent Tor http://tor.eff.org/ privacy/anonymity system does not support vhosts at all - so subdirectory is the only option for anyone who wants to anonymously setup a location hidden WordPress MU blog service (which is a good thing since users can completely anonymously sign up and nobody can figure out where the blog-service is located).

While the .onion DNS system is in many ways better than the normal DNS system, it does have this very serious lack..

There is, however, one very big problem with setting up such a service today: The e-mail confirmation. Sending e-mails from the server to the users quickly gives away where it is (and thus; who's running it). MU should really support no-email-sending at all (and no reporting of hostname - or anything else - to the users).

Obviously my interest in this is just for information purposes, my involvement with Tor location hidden services is absolutely not indicated.

5. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

I use subdomains, as when I originally installed back in February, subfolders had more bugs. :) Sudomains have an extra step with setting up vhosts, but other than that I think the wrinkles have been ironed out (mostly) as to the differences.
    Also, sometimes an MU plugin comes along that has trouble working with subfolders.

6. conpeo
    Posted 17 years ago #

My hosting provider doesn't giv the Wildcard DNS service for customer can modify themselves. they told me reason why is very difficult to control the limit of domain hosted in server. as a service they provide for standard plan is under 10% of CPU usage.
    technical got confuse vhost term coz addon domain also work like vhost.
    Wishing that Subdomain and Subdirectory can be exchange in further WPMU project. but i know difficult to conquer this.

About this Topic