The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Database Tables Missing (28 posts)

1. paolob
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Everytime I install WordPress MU, I get the following error:

Fatal Error
    Database Tables Missing.
    The table whereit_wordpress::wp_site is missing. Delete the .htaccess file and run the installer again!
    Please check that your database contains the following tables:

* wp_blogs
    * wp_users
    * wp_usermeta
    * wp_site
    * wp_sitemeta
    * wp_sitecategories

If you suspect a problem please report it to support forums!

I read somewhere that it should be installed in the root directory so I installed it there but got the same error.

2. Totto
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Hey, people! Don't need to post hundreds of same threads here! It's much easier for a new one who come here to see one thread about this one topic, not so much same articles. If you wanna add sth new to this problem, just add a reply to the existing topic. It's a real madness now..

3. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 18 years ago #

I checking in code this morning that should fix problems with installing into folders. Unstable release has been updated too.
    Paolob - Did you do as the error message asked you? check the tables etc?

4. paolob
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Donncha, yes I checked the folders. I'll download the latest release and see if it works.

5. paolob
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

I installed the latest build, checked the folders and installed it in the root folder several times but it still doesn't work.

6. dyrer
    Posted 18 years ago #

I have the same problem too but not always

7. TomK32
    Posted 18 years ago #

I've looked into the source. First of all, in wp-settings.php the function is_installed() is select * from site which returns nothing at all because in my installation the table is empty!

I think that during installation the site is simply not added.

8. franklaughter
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

I came here because I\m encountering the same problem (9-10 with dl of 9-9) except when I started the install I got a msg that it couldn\t find *wpmu-settings.php* I found *wpmu-settings.php.dist* in the wp-inst folder and removed the *.dist*. THEN I got the *FATAL ERROR* Help.
    P.S. I followed the *reinstall* instruction twice and carefully checked the db in between, deleting all *wpmu_* elements. The elements are definitely being created OK.

9. partypageusa
    Posted 18 years ago #

Dont think you should be removing the ".dist" from the wpmu-settings.php file. The wpmu-settings.php.dist file is use to creat the wpmu-settings.php if I'm not mistaken.

10. TomK32
    Posted 18 years ago #

@frank which install-method did you use? don't use the one in the wp-inst directory. I did the same error too.

11. franklaughter
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

partypageusa: If I don\t remove *.dist* from *wpmu-settings.php.dist* then I don\t have a *wpmu-settings.php* file and it fails because its waiting for one.
    TomK32: I used: /wp-inst/wp-admin/install.php -- What should I use?

12. Chunsum
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

I've been experiencing the same problem.

TomK32, can you tell us with install method you used?

Thanks

13. TomK32
    Posted 18 years ago #

@frank: copy the whole unzipped wpmu, not only wp-inst. there's a index.php one level above. that's the real install method!
    I know, it's "ah nooo *bang*" but if donncha doesn't replace the old install method....

/index.php <- there you go
    /wp-inst/index.php <- no no no

14. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 18 years ago #

If someone thinks that the install script is wp-inst/wp-admin/install.php the README.txt has to be updated. Anyone care to rewrite the install docs?

15. TomK32
    Posted 18 years ago #

16. Chunsum
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Got it Tom. thanks.

17. franklaughter
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

@TomK32: Thanks Tom, that worked but there are some other INSTALL issues that need to be documented and worked on at some point. How do I report/log those and other problems and work-arounds that I find? -- Thanks again for your help.
    Also --
    @partypageusa: Thank you.

18. TomK32
    Posted 18 years ago #

@frank: create an account at codex, login and edit the page. simple as that.

19. rqkh
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

i'm confused. my problem is similar to paolob's first post

Problem 1:
    Fatal Error

Could Not Find Blog!
    Searched for localhost/wpmu/ in myblog::main_blogs table. Is that right?
    main_blogs
    main_users
    main_usermeta
    main_site
    main_sitemeta
    main_sitecategories

In the second post donncha mentioned checking the database tables. How to check?

Any hints as to how I should go about solving this error? I read this entire thread, but real confused as to what is going on.

Problem 2:
    Should I put the wpmu file into the wordpress file or leave them separated but in the same folder?

any help is appreciated!

PS: i received an email saying that my blog is set up, so why can't it work?

20. ryan_accuwebhosting
    Posted 15 years ago #

Me too getting the same error:

I installed wordpress MU in my subdirectory domain.com/mu. I followed the steps mentioned in codex. The steps mentioned are below:

1) Download the MU zip package.
    2) Created a database and a user. Assigned All privileges to the user.
    3) Unzip it and edit the wp-config file. Entered the database details in it.
    4) Then followed the URL: http://www.domain.com/mu/wp-admin/install.php
    5) I get the page where I as asked the title of the blog and the email address.
    6) Then I entered the details and got the username admin and a password.
    7) Then I clicked on Login. This was the case, where I received the error that database tables are missing.

I checked my database and the tables in question were created. All the tables were created properly. But still I was getting the same error. I did this 3 times with fresh installation and new database, but no luck. Please help.

Is there anything I am mistaking???

21. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

"3) Unzip it and edit the wp-config file. Entered the database details in it."

Did you read the instructions? You do NOT edit the config file in MU.

Delete the htacces file.
    Delete wp-config.php
    Drop the db tables.

Don't do anything else. Visit your install page again and then follow the setup.

22. ryan_accuwebhosting
    Posted 15 years ago #

I did the same this time. This time I did not edit the wp-config file and I delete the wp-config.php file and try to access the install.php page, I get this error:

Error establishing a database connection

This either means that the username and password information in your wp-config.php file is incorrect or we can't contact the database server at localhost. This could mean your host's database server is down.

And if I try to visit the index.php page, I get this error:
    Error establishing a database connection

I have deleted the .htaccess file as well.

By the way, if I dont enter the the database details in wp-config file, how come the wordpress mu will created the database and establish the database connection?? just curios?

23. nikkidev
    Posted 15 years ago #

I also get this error after what appears to be a successful installation and then try to log in:

Fatal Error

Could Not Find Blog!
    Searched for mydomain in databasename::wp_blogs table. Is that right?
    wp_blogs
    wp_users
    wp_usermeta
    wp_site
    wp_sitemeta
    wp_sitecategories

I uploaded the WPMU files to mydomain\blogs , made the blog folder and wp-content folder writable. I set up a database and user in Plesk. Running the index.php file, I chose to have blogs of the subdirectory type. I entered the required database info. (Please note, at this time I can't install to root or use the subdomain method)

I have checked the tables through Plesk phpmyadmin and they have been generated.

The only other error I get at the bottom of my Fatal Error login screen is:
    Wordpress database error Table 'databasename.wp_posts' doesn't exist for query SELECT LOWER(post_name)FROM wp_posts WHERE post_type='page' made by require, require_once, require_once, is_blogname_page

I've tried a fresh install (deleted and re-uploaded files and fresh database) but with the same result.

Any ideas?

24. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

"By the way, if I dont enter the the database details in wp-config file, how come the wordpress mu will created the database and establish the database connection?? just curios? "

You still have to create the *database* and the user. The MU install screen will ask you for the db credentials, then it creates the htaccess file, the wp-config file and it populates the db.

This may help the both of you:
    http://wpmututorials.com/installation/installing-wordpressmu-the-e-book/

25. nikkidev
    Posted 15 years ago #

@andrea_r: Thanks, I've read through the ebook tutorial but I still can't see where I'm going wrong. My WPMU files are in a subdirectory off the root (I haven't got permissions to make the root folder writeable). I have got a Wordpress installation in a sub-subdirectory but I renamed its wp-config file before trying a WPMU installation just in case.

I have been assured that my database user has all permissions.

26. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

There's a check in WP that goes up one directory to see if a config file is there. It's a security feature not a bug. :)

See line 9 here:
    http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/browser/trunk/wp-blog-header.php

Comment it out, see if that helps.

27. nikkidev
    Posted 15 years ago #

No, that doesn't seem to make a difference.

After a bit of investigation, I'm now not sure whether mod_rewrite is installed, I will check with my host tomorrow. Would this account for the errors I've seen even though I'm not using subdomain installs.

28. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Got a link to your install?

About this Topic