The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Anyone uses WP-ShortStat on mu? (47 posts)

1. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

speed yes but only when I access the short stats page.

I have on my todo list to delete 30 day old records as a cron script. Not sure how that will do over since we use the counter based on those records as well.

Most of our database is probably those records.

2. jshare
    Posted 17 years ago #

Just piping in to give another vote to FireStats. One critical feature is that it allows you to exclude IPs, so that your own surfing doesn't falsify your numbers. Other packages will count you and the WPMU Admin panel usage as visits. Another feature I like which usually requires a separate plugin is the possibility to add flag/OS/browser icons to comments, it's a nice touch and very quick since the images are cached locally with the plugin. If you want to see what it looks like, check out my site http://jobmob.co.il/

3. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

@selad

I just noticed the next version is out. here are the changes:

Version 1.12a (8. Januar 2007)

* new database format, about half the size of the old format
        * added blogger.com to detected search engines
        * fix for broken referer
        * added debug version which shows all errors
        * some internal fixes (uninitialized variables, …)
        * disabled old country detection code
        * If you wish to compress your SQL database to about half of the original size, execute these SQL statements once (replace all ‘ with the standard character before)

UPDATE ‘wp_ss_stats’ SET ‘language’ = ‘’ WHERE ‘language’ = ‘empty’
              UPDATE ‘wp_ss_stats’ SET ‘browser’ = ‘’ WHERE ‘browser’ = ‘Indeterminable’
              UPDATE ‘wp_ss_stats’ SET ‘version’ = ‘’ WHERE ‘version’ = ‘Indeterminable’
              UPDATE ‘wp_ss_stats’ SET ‘platform’ = ‘’ WHERE ‘platform’ = ‘Indeterminable’
              ALTER TABLE ‘wp_ss_stats’ CHANGE ‘country’ ‘country’ CHAR( 2 ) NOT NULL
              ALTER TABLE ‘wp_ss_stats’ DROP ‘user_agent’

could you tell us what changes you made to the original version so we can fix this new version too? I would love to upgrade as it says:

new database format, about half the size of the old format
  4. Konstan
    Posted 17 years ago #

I am still trying to see how to populate old blogs >_<

5. Konstan
    Posted 17 years ago #

Up. Still waiting :P

6. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Sunday's a coding day I hope.

7. Konstan
    Posted 17 years ago #

Lets hope so :P

8. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

@drmike:

I can't find the post you mentioned earlier anywhere - been searching for "install_blog" - care to point me the right way?

9. mornebecl
    Posted 16 years ago #

This is a really cool plugin.
    Dunno much about css have installed this on my site.
    Used it to display weekly stats on my front page, but have no idea how to make it displa in a nice little table.

Any advice?
    my-blog.co.za

This worked right out da box :) so cool

10. demonicume
    Posted 16 years ago #

is shot stats really global? the numbers arent jiving with my google-analytic numbers. is the main blog SS picking up stats for globally?

BTW, how's firestats?

11. mornebecl
    Posted 16 years ago #

The way I have it setup each blog has it's own stats. I have installed it to the plugins folder not the mu-plugins, have'nt looked at the stats in detail, will check out my analytics stats and site logs later to see. I have not tried to get global site stats yet. Probably just a little routine needs to be written to get total stats for all blogs combined. :)

12. Farms
    Posted 16 years ago #

Firestats rocks, shortstats is pretty good too, but when you're looking at a large number of users, my experience is that this sort of stuff especially built in) drags down your performance... but this could just be me overreacting :)

13. Konstan
    Posted 16 years ago #

I am thinking about using wp-slimstats, but make it a plugin so users can decide if they want to use it or not. This is because I cant figure out how to populate old blogs with new tables :P

14. StianH
    Posted 16 years ago #

I just (as in less then 30 minutes ago) made what seems to be a working solution for this. I commented some things out in wp-shortstat.php, added to wpmu-functions.php, and even wrote a plugin for the admin interface to update and add the needed tables to existing blogs.

I wrote about the entire process here: http://development.sier.no/2007/11/12/hack-for-using-shortstat-with-mu/

I have not yet to test it on any production site, but it works very well on my development installs. I'm gonna do some more testing before I run it on my production site. Any feedback is welcome.

15. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

still up-to-date info? does this last modded info still work?

16. MrBrian
    Posted 15 years ago #

It's year old info, so try it and find out.

17. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Just a quick mention that wp-shortstat got updated to version 1.14a. It includes a "compatibility fix for WP_MU" among other items. No idea what that means and I'm short on time today to go checking. Just wanted to throw this out there for those who use it.

About this Topic