The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

a few questions from a newbie to MU (9 posts)

1. stephi
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi, everyone. I have a few questions I hope someone can help me out with.

1. If I install wpmu on a domain (domain.com/wmpu) will the install overwrite the existing index page of the domain? In other words, if I installed this on Yahoo.com, would yahoo.com be replaced by wpmu?

2. If I select the subdomain option, will these subdomains be set up automatically or will I have to set the up manually in c-panal?

Thank you so much!

2. mikeall
    Posted 17 years ago #

To question 1 = no. Unless you deleted the index.html file the contents of the folder /wpmu wouldn't change the /index.html since /wpmu/ is actually a folder.

To question 2 = I don't know. Hopefully someone else can help.

3. selad
    Posted 17 years ago #

Regarding your seconde question - these sub-domains are not real, they are virtual sub-domains which wordpress take care of. You don't have to create any sub-domain via cpanel.

4. stephi
    Posted 17 years ago #

Just a confirmation and a few follow-up questions.

So wpmu won't overwrite my existing website. That is great. I assume, then, that the blog page created by wpmu will be domain.com/wpmu?

I don't quite understand the concept of virtual subdomains but I, of course, defer to your knowledge on the topic. Being that wpmu creates these virtual subdomains, any subdomain created from c-panel with the same name would overwrite wpmu's virtual one, correct?

5. selad
    Posted 17 years ago #

I think that creating sub-domains with cpanel and having the same sub-domains in Wordpress is a no no! I'm not sure what will happen.

6. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

I think if you have some subdomains already set up, it will try to find the virtual ones first, unless they are specified as being there in the htaccess. (many threads about legacy subdomains) If you try and set up a subdomain afterwards, and one exisits in mu already with the same name, I think MU will override it.

To understand the virtual-ness of the subdomains, it has to be seen to be appreciated. :)

7. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

In stephi's case, it's actually not going to be virtual subdomains. It's going to be virtual subdirectories since she's installing the software in a subdirectory:

domain.com/wmpu/blog1
    domain.com/wmpu/blog2
    etc...

8. imgoel
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi,
    i am installing WPMU on subdomain like: blogs.domain.com and the user is getting his/her blog on: user.blogs.domain.com.

but i dont want this. i want to give my users sub-domains like: user.domain.com

pls hlp...

9. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

There really isn't a need to post your problem in more than one thread.

About this Topic