The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Adsense / Advertisements on User Blogs (11 posts)

1. wazimm
    Posted 17 years ago #

I would like to know if there's a way to place a small ad or adsense on user blogs by default?

2. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Yes, hardcode it in the theme files.

3. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I forget the file name (Single browser window on a locked down terminal so I can't do a lookup) but you can also add it in to the wp_header function. Someone post the name of the file please. It's in the wp_includes subdirectory.

4. joseph21
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hello I've tried google adsense widget by Mike Smullin, Gadsense by Otto, and mightyadsense. All three doesn't seem to work with WPMU ???

Do we have to insert ads manually in each of the themes?

5. joseph21
    Posted 17 years ago #

Could somebody give me an idea how to code the function for adsense?

<?php
    function() {
    <!-- some codes here to make adsense work? -->
    }
    ?>

6. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Um, just hardcode it into the theme, and forget about it.

No functions, no mess. Just drop it where you want it.

7. JohnWeb
    Posted 17 years ago #

The adsense widget on the WPMU plug-in download page is a scary one, it appears to work as the ads show up, but doesn't because the individual's settings are not saved so it displays them as blank, which I'm sure Google isn't going to complain about at all.

8. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

I don't get it. What's so difficult about hard coding a few lines into a theme? Then you can even blend it and make it fit into the theme. To save some work or time? With all the time wasted on this topic, peeps could have already stuck it in their theme and been done with it. lol

9. plcom
    Posted 17 years ago #

I have added adsense to my themes--just as lunabyte said, by hardcoding it. It is the easiest, as well as the quickest way to do it. When designing your themes, have this planned out ahead of time...it will save you even more time because you wont have to go back and edit all of your themes.

10. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Yep.

And if you want to offer ad-less themes, you can wrap the ad code in an if statement. I usually try to follow a basic philosophy: KISS. Short for, Keep It Simple Stupid. lol

11. plcom
    Posted 17 years ago #

See, I am not smart enough for that...LOL. I just create an identical theme without the ads...LOL. Well, that is what I was going to do. But now, that I got a hold of the premium deal--and it is operational, I am gonna try that statement.

About this Topic