The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

I'm a n00b idiot, please help me. (37 posts)

1. RichardSchulzTCOC
    Posted 15 years ago #

Fearless, Thank you, went back and played around again and figured out the godaddy VDS set up using this bit of info you provided...

Appreciated

2. mantis108
    Posted 15 years ago #

I am looking to run 2 blogs under WordPress and am moving over from Joomla. Is WPMU overkill for this? I want to have a common platform and leverage one user account database for bloggers and visitors.

3. MrBrian
    Posted 15 years ago #

For just two blogs, go with normal wordpress..

4. mantis108
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks MrBrian. Is there any way for me to utilize a single database or is that only possible with WPMU?

5. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

you can use 1 DB for as many blogs as you like, just specify a different wp_prefix, default its set to wp_ just use wp_1_ and wp_2_ etc.

6. nckman
    Posted 15 years ago #

Great information on this thread regarding the Pros & Cons of jumping into WPMU. I’m trying to determine if I should take the plunge. WPMU was recommended to me by a company that had provided customization services on a stand alone WP blog. We provided the following description of what we were trying to accomplish:

Many of our clients use hosted CMS solutions that do not allow for the installation of a Wordpress blog on their servers. We are considering providing and supporting blogs on their behalf using our Hostgator dedicated server. We would like to use one domain to host all the blogs (which should make it easier for us to setup, add plug-ins and support), however, also allow for third level domain configuration.

We would use one master domain to host the blogs on, lets say: 'www.MainDomain.com'.

Each client would be setup on the domain under a subdirectory

Client 1 'www.MainDomain.com/client1blog'
    Client 2 'www.MainDomain.com/client2blog'
    Client 3 'www.MainDomain.com/client3blog' etc.

Each blog would be branded to match the clients existing website (hosted elsewhere).
    Client 1 'www.clientwebsite1.com'
    Client 2 'www.clientwebsite2.com'
    Client 3 'www.clientwebsite3.com'

Once the blog is setup, we would setup a third level domain so that the blog could be accessed from a variation of the clients existing website:

Client 1:
    'blog.clientwebsite1.com' or 'clientwebsite1.com/blog displays 'www.MainDomain.com/clientblog1'

Client 2:
    'blog.clientwebsite2.com' or 'clientwebsite2.com/blog displays 'www.MainDomain.com/clientblog2'

Client 1:
    'blog.clientwebsite3.com' or 'clientwebsite3.com/blog displays 'www.MainDomain.com/clientblog3'

The initial description that was provided about WPMU appeared to be the perfect solution, however, when I pressed about the domain configuration, they confessed they were not DNS experts, which led me to start researching on my own, and subsequently this forum. I’m a self confessed NON-expert on DNS, Apache and Wordpress, however, do take my position as Director of Figuring Things Out seriously, and when I can’t, will gladly pay the experts for support and guidance. That being said, is 1) WPMU a solution for the above description, and 2) is it conceivable to configure this solution with limited knowledge but willingness to learn and pay for support from the experts while maintaining support levels expected from our clients? Finally, if there is anyone interested in providing this type of consultation support, please let me know.

Thanks!

7. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

1) yeah it's possible. Recommendation: make it username.yourmaindomain.com to start with. Use Donncha's domain mapping plugin so they can have clientwebsite.com or blog.clientsite.com or whatever they want.

2) yes, it's pretty easy. If the clients wants to map client.theirwebsite.com to username.yourmaindomain.com, all they do on their end with DNS records is add a CNAME that points to yourdomain.com. the domain mapping plugin and WPMU handles the rest. Nothing expert level about it.

There's a whole pile of experts listed here:
    http://wpmututorials.com/freelancers/

:D The people at the top of the list are the busiest.
    (Wow, I need to update that list)

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by themurph2099
  • Latest reply from andrea_r