The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Problem with SK2 blacklisting gone wild (24 posts)

1. boetter
    Posted 17 years ago #

I have SK2 running from mu-plugins with big success, it's really making sure no spam is getting through. But lately I've experienced a few problems. We had a lot of complaints from users that were not able to comment.

I was looking through some the logs, and saw that most of the cases we blacklistings.

Examples:

-21.78: 2 blacklist matches. (1301 = 83.92.137.104 [x1], 1302 = letsgetlost.dk [x1])

-11.88: 1 blacklist match. (515 = wordpress.com [x1])

A few others comments also got a very bad SK rating:

-100: Commenter granularity (based on IP): 0 old comment(s) (karma avg: 0.000000), 12 recent comment(s) (karma avg: -251.320000).
    -32: Commenter granularity (based on email): 0 old comment(s) (karma avg: 0.000000), 10 recent comment(s) (karma avg: -354.590000).
    -121: Retro-spanking triggered by comment ID: 1150

Does anyone know what that means? And how do I make this better? I am also a bit confused of where I put my global settings for all blogs? Is there a place to put a global whitelist, would for example be interested in whitelisting everything at *.dk since I haven't seen any spammers clever enough to use that yet. And 99% of our users are danish, so that would make sense.

2. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Try whitelisting. Best bet would be to bring this up with SK2's support though. If they're listed, that's means they're listed for a reason.

3. boetter
    Posted 17 years ago #

But where do I globally whitelist something?

4. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Someone else is going to have to answer this one as I no longer use SK2 and don't have it installed. Andrea maybe?

5. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

AFAIK, there isn't a real global setting option anywhere - they are for individual blogs only. You can hardcode the default, but again, it would only do that for new blogs and you'd have to set all the old blogs to what you want. Individually.

The person who modded it for MU (sorry, I'm so bad with names I call my kids #1, #2, #3 and #4...) just did a quick job so only the site admin could see the menus, again, just for each blog.

There is no "global setting for all blogs" options, just the default ones on install.

I shall carefully re-read this whole thread, go poke around some more, and report back in a few, though.

6. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

AHA! you are in luck. The blacklist/whitelist info goes to ONE table referenced by all users. So... go to any blog while logged in as site admin, go to manage-> SK2 -> Blacklist.

There it says "Add:" with a dropdown box. You can pick what to whitelist there as well. Also, there's a huge list there of what's been black/whitelisted already, so you can make adjustments accordingly.

For any legit comment that gets caught, you should be able to go into that blog's SK2 menu and recover the comment, thus "teaching" the plugin what ones it should keep. I find if one blog is consistently grabbing comments it shouldn't, then I adjust their SK2 setting in their blog. Just read the menu areas I pointed out above there. (manage-> SK2 )

7. quenting
    Posted 17 years ago #

indeed the blacklist is common to everyone.
    however the settings are per user by default, and you'll probably want to tweak them depending on your context (for instance I auto-approve someone logged in, I added a list of spammy english words in blacklist since my audience is french etc.)
    There's a thread on SK2 with hints to achieve global settings etc.

8. boetter
    Posted 17 years ago #

quenting: How do you auto-approve users logged in?

andrea: Thanks for the help, I'll try and look into this. Will get back to you as soon as I've tried.

9. boetter
    Posted 17 years ago #

I now added just ".dk" to the domain whitelist, will this whitelist everything *.dk?

Furthermore, could someone explain the difference between a whitelist and a greylist? Might be english lingo, that I as a dane doesn't know :-)

Thanks for the help, seems to be rolling now. Would love to have that auto-approval of logged in users though!

10. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

whitelist: definitely good
    blacklist: totally bad

greylist: somewhere in between, meaning it's not quite sure until you tell it, I guess.

11. quenting
    Posted 17 years ago #

in the basic_plugins file, around line 20, replace the if/else with:

if ($cmt_object->user_id > 0)
    {
    // give super bonus to logged in users
    $bonus = 25;

12. quenting
    Posted 17 years ago #

and yes with .dk you whitelist users with such sites. make sure you set the value to 100 for max efficiency.

13. boetter
    Posted 17 years ago #

Just to be sure. Should it look like this?

if ($cmt_object->user_id > 0)
    {
    // give super bonus to logged in users
    $bonus = 25;

$log = sprintf(__("Commenter logged in. ID: %d, Level: %d", 'sk2'), $cmt_object->user_id, $cmt_object->user_level);
    $this->log_msg($log , 2);
    $this->raise_karma($cmt_object, $bonus, $log);
    }

14. quenting
    Posted 17 years ago #

yes. Basically reads, if user's logged in, give him plenty of karma points (i think with 25 the algo doesn't even look further).

15. boetter
    Posted 17 years ago #

Works like a charm, thanks a lot!

16. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

This should totally go in the SK2 for MU mod.

17. boetter
    Posted 17 years ago #

andrea: Agreed. Who's responsible for it?

18. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

(quickly searches forum). Pumpkinslayer, who no doubt was busy this past week. Where are ya buddy?

19. Cruz
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thank you guys for the great info!
    My users are complaining about getting lots of spam comments. Going to give SK2 a try!

20. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

There's an MU version of it over at wpmudev.org.

21. Cruz
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks!

22. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

Can't wait for integration with the WPMUdev version, that'll be very cool.

Had to remove my SK2 install as schools were getting blocked (lots of people from same IP I guess) and it was overriding vanila moderation settings...

So if the allow-moderation-settings plugin could go into the mu dev too that'd be grand 'n all.

23. Cruz
    Posted 17 years ago #

Anyone else getting this error when the new user signs up? (MU 1.0)

When user activate the blog, upon clicking on the activation link from the e-mail, page shows the following error message: "WordPress database error: [Table 'databasename.wp_5_sk2_logs' doesn't exist] INSERT INTO wp_5_sk2_logs SET msg = 'Plugin Simple Digest: peter.westwood@ftwr.co.uk. is registered with both filter and treatment set to false. It probably won\'t do anything: please contact plugin author.', component = 'sk2_pjw_simpledigest', level = 5, ts = NOW()"

24. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Nope. Not with the version of SK2 from wpmudev.org, any way.

I noticed you mentioned it there, so I gave it a pretty thorough test locally, then added it to the live box and created several test accounts.

No issues whatsoever, and everything was peachy.

Are you using some special naming scheme or something for tables maybe?

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by boetter
  • Latest reply from lunabyte