The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

"Limited Email Registrations" and "Email Alert on New Blog Creation" (6 posts)

1. plainsman
    Posted 18 years ago #

Has anyone had success in creating the opposite of the existing "Limited Email Registrations" whereby certain domains can be blocked from registering? I want the site to be open to all .edu domains, but not all .com.

I'm having problems with a few people trying to create accounts and run code, posting off topic content, etc. It is more bothersome than a real threat. I realize that blocking easily created email accounts won't answer all problems, but it would be a bit of a help. For instance, I'd like to block all .hotmail, .yahoo, etc. email addresses.

The other thing I'd really appreciate is receiving an email whenever someone creates a new blog. Has anyone accomplished that bit of wonder? That will be an extra special benefit to curb abuse on the site.

Any and all help appreciated. Thank you.

2. Farms
    Posted 18 years ago #

can't help you with the email domain stuff (although I'm keen to know the solution... would work a treat for organisational / institutional stuff i.e. limiting registrations to deakin.edu.au email addys)

But you should already be getting an email whenever someone sets up a new blog...

3. andrewbillits
    Posted 18 years ago #

it would be fairly easy to code. Just compare the last several characters of the email to ones that are allowed.

4. TomK32
    Posted 18 years ago #

Limited Email Registrations:
    If you want to limit blog registrations to certain domains. Separate domains by spaces.

am I wrong or isn't that already in the options? upgrade first please, or read the non-existing documentation ;-)

5. plainsman
    Posted 18 years ago #

Thank you, andrewbillits. But, alas ... a coder, I am not. I'm open to learning, but I have enough trouble editing simple PHP sometimes. So, I don't think I will be successful for a long time, I fear.

TomK32, unless I'm wrong. That is how you can limit registration "to certain domains" and i want to "exclude certain domains".

For instance, to use the existing way, I would have to write in so many different domains that it is not really possible to accomplish what I want to do. My goal is to keep people from subscribing / creating a blog with those free email locations.

Now, even that is going to be difficult and won't be a total solution, but stopping "hotmail.com" and "yahoo.com" accounts, and others will be easy with the process I am seeking. We are most interested in a very niche group of users: i.e., .edu and specific firms. But, the list of specific firms is so long that it would be unlikely that I could enter all of them, too.

And, "read the non-existing documentation" :o)

6. plainsman
    Posted 18 years ago #

Sorry, Farms. I forgot you. :o)

I don't get an email when a new user signs up. I just look throughout the day to see if there are new ones. Not a big deal, but would be nice.

I think I've changed the email address in all appropriate places so that I should be notified.

About this Topic

• Started 18 years ago by plainsman
  • Latest reply from plainsman