The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Valid RSS feed not being picked up by sidebar widget (13 posts)

1. jonesieboy
    Posted 17 years ago #

site is Exc-el emaths

In the RSS1 sidebar widget, I have entered the feed address

http://feedshake.com/mpfeeds/thhua4j8ix.xml

and feed title

Exc-el Maths Blogs Feed

This feed validates on feedvalidator, but I'm getting a blank underneath the feed title on the blog.

I have another feed in the second RSS widget - Paul's blog - which is working just fine.

I have googled the forum, but can't find a solution to this, or evidence that it's a recognised problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. helmi
    Posted 17 years ago #

hi jonesieboy,

i see whitespaces at the beginning of the file. Maybe they are the problem? i already had problems like this before with some feed handlers, though not especially with the sidebar widget.

3. jonesieboy
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi Helmi. I tried chopping off the white space and pointing the RSS widget at the cleaned up version, but this didn't help. Anyone elso got any ideas?

4. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Nope, I'm still having isssues with my Flickr RSS widget not updating. :-/

5. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm getting a broken feed when I click on that link.

I remember from a wp.com discussion that there's one common type of RSS that isn't supported in the RSS widgets. I don't remember which one it was though. I don't know if it's even been resolved although, from looking at the date on the last widget download, I don't think so. You might be running into that.

6. Trent
    Posted 16 years ago #

Is anyone else noticing that the RSS widgets are not picking up any RSS feeds? I have an RSS feed from a wordpress install that is not being picked up. Tried a couple other ones including the site-wide feed and it still won't pick anything up. Anyone have any ideas?

Trent

7. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

I sometimes have to kick it by going into the database, finding in the options table all the rss fields, and deleting them. This forces an update.

Actually, I have to do that on one blog right now.

8. Trent
    Posted 16 years ago #

I guess that is something that I better look at since it doesn't want to keep any of the settings and just kicks to an invalid RSS feed error. Cheers!

Trent

9. Trent
    Posted 16 years ago #

Out of curiosity, does anyone think that Bad Behavior might be blocking attempts of the RSS widget feed pulling? (On the site that you are pulling from of course).

Trent

10. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Could be.

11. Trent
    Posted 16 years ago #

Reason I ask such a stupid question (with obvious simple answer) is because even changing around the entries in the DB still has be unsuccessful in adding the RSS feed. I might have to see if I can get another widget that does the same thing to work.

Thanks for the response andrea_r :)

Trent

12. bitkahuna
    Posted 15 years ago #

trent, did u ever figure out the answer?
    i'm using rss widget AND 'fetch_rss' function which works with one feed but not with another yet the one it doesn't work with does validate at feedvalidator.org and IS A WORDPRESS 2.7 BLOG FEED!

13. bitkahuna
    Posted 15 years ago #

i found the solution anyway.

seems wp uses an OLD version of magpie rss (0.52?) and so i downloaded the latest (0.70) and ran that and it works fine on all the feeds i'm accessing!

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by jonesieboy
  • Latest reply from bitkahuna