The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Getting notified of new blog creation by email (43 posts)

1. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hiya,

This is probably dumb of me but are new blog notofication emails still being sent to support@sitename.com or should they be coming to the admin default address (as this would seem to indicate)?

And if they are supposed to be coming to the admin email... any idea why they might not be coming to mine?

Cheers, James

2. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

Sorry to bump... are other people getting new blog emails to their admin addresses with wpmu 1.0?

3. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

Sorry,

I must have overlooked this thread. I've been playing with 1.0 for the last few weeks and all notifications have come to the admin address.

4. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

Must be my server email settings then. Thanx for the response.

5. Trent
    Posted 17 years ago #

On the same line....If I create a new blog on my system, I recieve an email saying that I setup a new blog. That is just fine. Being the admin, I would like it if I get an email saying that someone else created a blog. I know they are recieving their 'welcome' email, but I am not. Any idea how I can do this or if it is a built in function...what should I check?

Trent

6. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

Still can't fix it, server admins saying nothing is coming from it :(

7. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

Andrew or anyone else who has new user notification emails working, can you share your config details that might relate to this?

8. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

Apparently "CPanel servers use Exim instead of Sendmail. But there is sendmail compatible utility - /usr/sbin/sendmail"

Could this have something to do with it... according to my techies:

"Mailserver reject log is empty. Email from PHP scripts (via php mail function) works fine."

So I'm totally snookered!

9. Trent
    Posted 17 years ago #

It would be great to see a resolution to this for sure. It is driving me nuts as well! I go to my site and see the new blogs and never recieve an email! It shouldn't be a big deal because I get emails if I am the new user or the new blog owner.....just not the admin for other new blogs.

10. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

Anyone? Are we totally missing an obvious solution or are we beyond help?

11. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Dunno, same boat here. :(

12. DrLobo
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hello,

I had a look into the code and found out that there is a notification only when the admin creates a new blog.
    If a user registers a new blog, the admin will not be notified.

If you want to have a notification for each new blog you can add the following line at this end of the "wpmu_welcome_notification" function in wp-includes/wpmu-function.php

Note: I didn't test it but it should work.

@wp_mail( $admin_email, sprintf(__('[%s] New Blog Created'), $current_site->site_name), "New blog created by {$user->user_login}\n\nAddress: $url\nName: ".wp_specialchars( $title ) );

13. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

Works for me :D

DrLobo I salute you!

14. Fryer
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hmmm I don't seem to be able to get it to work. I think I need more detail as to what the last line reads in the file to know where to exactly paste this. Can anyone be more specific? Appreciate any help

15. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

As a heads up for Cpanel boxes, where the use of sendmail may not be allowed by the user "nobody" (forcing you to use smtp vice sendmail), Coffe2Code's smtp plugin for wordpress works just fine.

My only suggestion is that you may wish to wrap a few of the settings options in an is_site_admin check, and have the settings set manually so that users can't specify their own smtp information.

@fryer

You're not adding it at the end of that file, but at the end of the wpmu_welcome_notification function.

16. corourke
    Posted 17 years ago #

Would this syntax be correct:
    wp_mail($user->user_email, $subject, $message, $message_headers);
    //12-12-06 added email admin on new signup cmo
    @wp_mail( $admin_email, sprintf(__('[%s] New Blog Created'), $current_site->site_name), "New blog created by {$user->user_login}nnAddress: $urlnName: ".wp_specialchars( $title ) );
    }

I added in a commented out line so I'd know where I'd made core edits.

17. Fryer
    Posted 17 years ago #

Yes I did add that statement at the end of the function and not the end of the file. I have the smtp info set in PHP and works for all registration email, just not getting a copy to admin for new user signup. So this is why I tried pasting that at the end of the function but it still didn't work unfortunately.

18. corourke
    Posted 17 years ago #

Yeah not working for me either. Actually for some reason no activation emails are going out.

19. Fryer
    Posted 17 years ago #

That's weird.. I don't have any problems with activation emails. Did you set the smtp server in your php.ini? That was what I had to do.

20. corourke
    Posted 17 years ago #

Well it's working now but still not getting admin notice of new signups.

21. Trent
    Posted 17 years ago #

DrLobo, that solution works great for me! Thank you so much for that!

Trent

22. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

can someone help me modify the email sent, so it sends me a link to the new created blog?

23. webpromotienet
    Posted 17 years ago #

I have read al the above, and i did try al the solutions, and stil it don't have working this stuff.

Is there any one who help me out with this?

24. chris
    Posted 17 years ago #

I was looking for an answer to this very question. Because you can't load a default plugin set, yet. I'd at least like to be notified when a new blog is created so I can activate some plugins.

25. Trent
    Posted 17 years ago #

This is the function that did it for me with the latest TRAC version anyways:

http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=2428&replies=24#post-15899

Trent

26. Cruz
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thank you. DrLobo. It's working great!

27. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

does wpmu still need this manual fix?
    I am on 1.1 and do not get any mail saying new user or new blog...

28. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Yup, you got to put it in there yourself.

29. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

I am wodnering what this

@
    does there in front of this code:

@wp_mail( $admin_email, sprintf(__('[%s] New Blog Created'), $current_site->site_name), "New blog created by {$user->user_login}nnAddress: $urlnName: ".wp_specialchars( $title ) );

is that ok like with the @???

30. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I vote for yes since it's there already. :)

About this Topic