The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

recovering admin password vis phpmyadmin (7 posts)

1. umair
    Posted 17 years ago #

how can i recover admin password by the help of phpmyadmin ?

(i have searched forum, dont give me the regular search the forum answer please)

2. stutley
    Posted 17 years ago #

You can't recover passwords from the database since they are encrypted.

If you have lost your password, go to the login-form and choose the "Lost your password?" option. MU will then send a new password to the admin-email.

3. umair
    Posted 17 years ago #

no we can ... how this is my question

4. stutley
    Posted 17 years ago #

No, you can't recover passwords from the database, since they are only stored as one-way MD5 encrypted strings. The only way to recover a password would be to brute force it, which probably would take a year or so on an average PC ;)

5. umair
    Posted 17 years ago #

as far my knowledge it you can store a password applying md5 hash ...this works with wordpress ... you can see official documentation for this ...

6. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

If you need to change hte amdin password and can't get emails (liek from a local setup), but you do have phpmyadmin access, do what I do.

Go into another install of WP or MU on a live server, go into the db (again, in phpmyadmin), snag the encrypted password from there (that you know) and paste it into the other one.

Is that what you're trying to do?

7. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

- Open up thte record that you want to change

- Edit your the password you want in regular english

- Use the pull down menu to tell phpMyAdmin that you want it entered as MD5.

phpMyAdmin will translate it for you.

Hope this helps,
    -drmike

About this Topic