The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

problem of Add New Blog in site-admin (28 posts)

1. lochen
    Posted 17 years ago #

hi,

My server environment is windows2003,apache 2.0.59,php 4.4.2,mysql 4.1.16

when i going to Add a new blog on site-admin

it display a error following:

WordPress database error: [Table 'mwblog.wp_4_options' doesn't exist]
    SELECT option_value FROM wp_4_options WHERE option_name = 'blogname' LIMIT 1

SELECT option_value FROM wp_4_options WHERE option_name = 'siteurl' LIMIT 1

SELECT option_value FROM wp_4_options WHERE option_name = 'post_count' LIMIT 1

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at C:\apacheweb\blog\wp-includes\wp-db.php:111) in C:\apacheweb\blog\wp-includes\pluggable.php on line 281

The new blog have been created, but it can not use and display, and i try to use signup process to signup a new blog, the new blog also can not use after activate.

it display a 404 page following:
    Not Found

The requested URL /blog/demo/ was not found on this server.

what is the problem of it and how can i solve it ?
    thank you

2. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Looks like there's multiple problems.

The sql errors is a known bug at the monet. The blog still gets created as you've seen.

The headers error coudl mean whitespace at the end of a file.

Everythign else probably means something not quite right in your setup, but it's hard to know what exactly. Did you check the error log?

3. Ionut
    Posted 17 years ago #

I have have the same problem, if anyone find a solution please post it here.

I'm using subdomains.

Thanks

4. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

It's been fixed. Please go here http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/
    and update your /wp-includes/wpmu-functions.php file.

5. Ionut
    Posted 17 years ago #

I cant find anything about that file... should I re download wpmu from that location ?

Done that, nothing happened... managed to add wildcards dns for subdomains and now is showing blank pages with mu favicon on all active subdomains... and i still get that error from above... but no 404 this time.

6. lochen
    Posted 17 years ago #

i updated my wpmu-functions file,but the problem still occur
    it have not error of option table, but the category have error

WordPress database error: [Field 'category_description' doesn't have a default value]
    INSERT INTO wp_2_categories (cat_ID, cat_name, category_nicename, category_count) VALUES ('0', 'Uncategorized', 'uncategorized', 1)

WordPress database error: [Field 'category_description' doesn't have a default value]
    INSERT INTO wp_2_categories (cat_ID, cat_name, category_nicename, link_count) VALUES ('2', 'Blogroll', 'blogroll', 2)

After that,the new blog also can not to use, it display 404 not found. i use sub-directories to be a new blog path.

Thanks

7. ovgray
    Posted 17 years ago #

This categories table error has been mentioned in at least two posts, but it appears no one has filed a ticket in trac about it. I have now done so.

It seems this occurs with some newer versions of mysql, but not all. It doesn't happen in my (older) version, so I can't test the following fix to see if it fixes this problem, as I believe it will. I can only tell you that these changes do not seem to break my test installation of wp mu ver 1

find the following lines in wp-includes/wpmu-functions.php at about line 1200 in the release version, around 1245 in the version referred to above:

// Default category
    $wpdb->query("INSERT INTO $wpdb->categories (cat_ID, cat_name, category_nicename, category_count) VALUES ('0', '".addslashes(__('Uncategorized'))."', '".sanitize_title(__('Uncategorized'))."', 1)");
    $blogroll_id = $wpdb->get_var( "SELECT cat_ID FROM {$wpdb->sitecategories} WHERE category_nicename = 'blogroll'" );
    if( $blogroll_id == null ) {
    $wpdb->query( "INSERT INTO " . $wpdb->sitecategories . " VALUES (0, 'Blogroll', 'blogroll', NOW())" );
    $blogroll_id = $wpdb->insert_id;
    }
    $wpdb->query("INSERT INTO $wpdb->categories (cat_ID, cat_name, category_nicename, link_count) VALUES ('{$blogroll_id}', '".addslashes(__('Blogroll'))."', '".sanitize_title(__('Blogroll'))."', 2)");

Change the first and last lines to add category_description to the columns list and '' (that is, two single quotes one after the other with no space in between) to the values list, thus:

first line:

$wpdb->query("INSERT INTO $wpdb->categories (cat_ID, cat_name, category_nicename, category_count, category_description) VALUES ('0', '".addslashes(__('Uncategorized'))."', '".sanitize_title(__('Uncategorized'))."', 1,'')"); // adrx fix

last line:

$wpdb->query("INSERT INTO $wpdb->categories (cat_ID, cat_name, category_nicename, link_count, category_description) VALUES ('{$blogroll_id}', '".addslashes(__('Blogroll'))."', '".sanitize_title(__('Blogroll'))."', 2,'')");

I hope this helps, but use at your own risk.

8. Ionut
    Posted 17 years ago #

Where is this wpmu-functions file ? plssss can you give me a link ?

9. ovgray
    Posted 17 years ago #

Your own wpmu-functions.php file will be in the wp-includes directory of your installation. The latest version of that file will be in that directory on trac.

10. Ionut
    Posted 17 years ago #

and the download link is on this page ?
    http://blogs.linux.ie/download/wpmu/

11. ovgray
    Posted 17 years ago #

Yes, the latest nightly version is available there.

12. Kanustep
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hello,

I have the same problem and can't get it fixed. Does the nightly version solves it?

I also have the 404 error problem and the site generates somethis like this http://www.blog1.domain.com/blogs, anyway to solve this in cPanel without using a new IP (Wildcard domains needs one new IP on cPanel).

Thank you.

13. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

"(Wildcard domains needs one new IP on cPanel)."

Uh... who told you this? I use cPanel, and to do widlcard subdomains, I had to get my host to change the http.conf file. Can't do that thru cpanel.

14. mysticwolfpress
    Posted 17 years ago #

"It's been fixed. Please go here http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/
    and update your /wp-includes/wpmu-functions.php file."

Hi Andrea,
    This just isn't enough information for us non-techies.

WHAT should be updated?
    WHERE can we find the changes that need to be made?

Thanks,
    Robert:)

15. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Whenever Donncha works on the program, the changed files go into trac, where he logs exactly what he worked on, including bug. You can see all the files in the whole program there.

I did say in what you quoted that it was the /wp-includes/wpmu-functions.php file. You need the fixed version of that file.

So, the easiest way, is this (with explanation). When the pgroam is worked on and changes logged in the tracking system (trac) Donncha also rezips everything up and puts a copy in the Latest Build directory. That is here:
    http://blogs.linux.ie/download/wpmu/

So go download the latest copy. Extract it somewhere. Get the /wp-includes/wpmu-functions.php file and replace the one on your site. (Don't use Cpanel to overwrite the file - it doesn't always)

Clear enough?

16. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 17 years ago #

wpmu-functions.php has been updated with the category_description fix above. Thanks for posting it!

17. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Just for reference since I don't see it discussed, the reason the OP was getting the header error was because of the MySQL error messages were being generated and they were coming before teh header was being generated.

You see it a lot when one writes code. :)

18. dizzy99
    Posted 17 years ago #

Is it safe to download the wpmu-functions.php file and copy over the original in the V1.0 install ? Or would it break V1.0 doing that ?

19. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Beats me. Make a back-up of that file, and try it. If it breaks, restore.

20. dizzy99
    Posted 17 years ago #

that what i'd planned on but wondered if there was a best practice :)

Usually upgrading core components like this is a recipe for disaster.

21. thierryyyyyyy
    Posted 17 years ago #

the previous link "http://blogs.linux.ie/download/wpmu/" give just a link to the original Mu download page http://mu.wordpress.org/download/ ...

So I search one more times in "trac.mu.wordpress.org", and I found the way to the file :
    1) clik "Browse Source" button
    2) click "trunk" category (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trunk_%28software%29)
    3) then wp-include
    4) then, the wanted file.

result :
    http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/browser/trunk/wp-includes/wpmu-functions.php

remember to backup your file before changing it.

I hope donncha will include this bugfix in the next wordpressMU release.

22. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

You missed this:

"wpmu-functions.php has been updated with the category_description fix above."

23. MPM
    Posted 16 years ago #

Does mu 1.2.4 have these changes?

24. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

Considering these were from 9 months ago, I'd say probably.

25. MPM
    Posted 16 years ago #

Yeah, that's why I was asking.

Narrowing down the solutions y'know.

I just did a file compare anyway.

I don't get any errors after deleting whitespace, re-installing BUT I still can't view new blogs.

I have subdomains set up from installation but post URL points to /blog/ for the site admin (only blog that works) eg. http://lifeandothertragedies.com/blog/2007/08/29/hello-world/

Should it not do that?

in wp-config I have $base = '/';

26. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

Maybe stating what the specific problem is as well as listing the answers to those debugging questions linked to in the readme.txt file would be a good idea.

27. MPM
    Posted 16 years ago #

specific problem is same as OP - can't use and display (view) new blogs in site admin.

28. MPM
    Posted 16 years ago #

This is from my host, I emailed him the wpmu readme, still waiting for another reply to clarify exactly what he's talking about.

Especially in regard to our domain not being able to use mail if it uses wpmu.

Can anyone enlighten me?

"Hi Michael,
    I have applied this to the lifeandothertragedies.com domain, with MPM.ORG.AU.
    I did assign this to the domain, but it appears that you may not be able to use mail on this domain, so I reverted this back to the default."

About this Topic