The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Importing from Worpress 2 to Wordpres MU (11 posts)

1. intrigue
    Posted 17 years ago #

Ok i got wordpress MU running beautifully except that i now want to import all the data from my wordpress 2 blog into my new MU installation so i am essentially a user within my MU site.
    I tried manually exporting the data using PHPMYADMIN but when i imported it, it doesn't seem to work. Anyideas how i can create a WXR and import the data?
    i have tried searching but cant find the right answer
    thanks
    matt

2. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Is there an exprt button under your regular WP? Do that, then import into the new MU blog.

3. billdennis5
    Posted 17 years ago #

Well, that's the quick answer. Here's my problem. My WP 2.1.1 blog exports into an .xml file.

My WPMU 1.1.1 installation will only import a .wxr file.

What the Hell?

4. kingler
    Posted 17 years ago #

Well, if you look carefully at the export page of WP 2.1.1, you will notice that the .xml file you got IS the .wxr file WPMU needs.

5. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

Yep, but when someone imports their wordpress.com xml file as an .xml... oh it is not good!

A function I'd like built in would be for that importer to only accept wxr files and reject xml ones.

6. billdennis5
    Posted 17 years ago #

I did look carefully. I keep getting a message saying this file with the .xml suffix is empty and not readable.

7. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Is it? First thing I do when I see an error message is look at what it's telling me.

8. stormerider
    Posted 17 years ago #

Make sure the xml file you downloaded is correct. I had a problem with a client trying to move from WP.com to a single-install WP and when I looked at the export file she sent me, it was a login page error. With a .xml extension and everything.

9. zappoman
    Posted 16 years ago #

I realize this is a really old post, but I've recently been fighting wordpress to wordpress importing and ended up rebuilding the plugin substantially.

You can find my plugin here:

http://heftagaub.wordpress.com/2007/05/26/improved-wordpress-to-wordpress-importer/

10. ulteriori
    Posted 16 years ago #

I had to twick both export and import to get it work. Though, I couldn't get my subpages to mu anyway, and had to fix some things in the db via pma.

11. zappoman
    Posted 16 years ago #

ulteriori,

Did you use my importer? If so, would you be willing to send me your exported xlm? And let me know what problems you might have had? I'd love to get as much testing on this as possible.

Thanks.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by intrigue
  • Latest reply from zappoman