The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

How do I remove the blog from the main page? (10 posts)

1. dmaher
    Posted 17 years ago #

I have everything set up (sorry, it's on a private server so I can't link) and it's working fine. The problem is that I want to remove the blog from the main page altogether so it's just a static html page until they go to the NEWS link and then see the blog at work. Now, I can just create a page in Dreamweaver or something, but I still want the ability to add/remove pages via the dashboard for simplicity. Is this possible?
    I did a search and couldn't find the answer. Thanks everyone.

2. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

If you log into your blog, click on Options => Reading you are presented with a lot of options on what to show on the frontpage and what not...

you can select there to show a static page and furthermore select which page to show on the frontpage and on which page to show your blog (your posts).

!!!page refers to a page created by wordpress: Write => Page!!!

3. dmaher
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hmmm.....not sure how I missed that. It kind of works, but not exactly though. From what I can gather, that page allows me to forward the HOME page to one of the other pages. So I choose the home page to be static and use the drop down list to choose which page I want it to be. I choose another page, and when I click HOME, it instead displays this other page.
    That's close, but I want it to instead show the HOME page, just without the blog list. That way HOME will be highlighted while I'm at the main page instead of the other page it's directed to. Does that make sense? Just ask me to clarify if it doesn't. It's real hard to describe since everything is behind a firewall on a local server for now.

4. dmaher
    Posted 17 years ago #

Maybe this will help you help me. I am using the fallseason-10 theme. It has buttons near the top you can rollover and click on for each page. For the page you're on, it highlights the button associated with it. Just trying to give you what I can since I can't post a link.

5. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Does that theme have a home.php file in its theme folder?

If not, create one with whatever you like, call it home.php and drop it in that theme's folder. It will then function as you want.

Also see here for a more complicated way:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Creating_a_Static_Front_Page

6. dmaher
    Posted 17 years ago #

Makes sense. Will it still be editable via the dashboard?

7. dmaher
    Posted 17 years ago #

I've done that, it worked like butter, thanks!
    But now when I click NEWS to view the blog, it just loads the home.php file again. I have NEWS set as the post page under options. If I delete home.php, it works but when I click NEWS, it highlights both NEWS and HOME in the menu bar. I don't care about this since I want to use home.php, but it might provide some insight for people to be able to help me.

So basically, instead of loading the NEWS page, clicking the NEWS button brings you to the HOME page.

8. dmaher
    Posted 17 years ago #

bumpity

9. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Go back to Option-> Reading and put it back to what it was. :) ie: click "your latest posts" instead of a static page. The home.php file will override it.

10. dmaher
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks, that worked. And I also used the filosofo-home-page-control.0.8.3 plugin to change the blog to be on whichever other page I want. Works good now, if I don't run into any other problems today I'll mark this post as resolved.

About this Topic