The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Plugin folder ... which is which? (9 posts)

1. cnpapers
    Posted 17 years ago #

I was under the impression that the mu_plugin folder was the folder to upload plugins to. However, the program doesn't recognize them. When I put them in the plugin folder, I can activate them, but don't function properly because the plugins are looking for content in the mu_plugin folder.

Is there someplace in the config or something that might be not set properly or hardcoded wrong?

Thanks.

~Ron

2. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

What do you mean by it doesn't recognize them?

For plugins that are specifically designed to go in mu-plugins, many of them do not have an Options page, so no, you don't see it in the backend.

This is probably why they don't work when you put them in the regulur folder nad they are looking for things in mu-plugins.

3. cnpapers
    Posted 17 years ago #

When I upload plugins (which do have user panels) they do not appear when I upload them to the mu-plugin directory. If I put them in the plugin directory, they are able to be activated. However, the plugins don't function properly under the plugins folder.

This is why I'm asking if there is a configuration setting or toggle to tell MU where to look.

~Ron

4. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Nope, there isn't. That should be handled by the plugin itself.

If there's a plugin expecting to be in the mu-plugins folder, you'll have to plunk it there and troubleshoot it all by itself. Is there a specific one you're having problems with?

There are some regular plugins you may come across that don't work properly in the mu-plugins folder.

5. cnpapers
    Posted 17 years ago #

Anarchy MU version and ImageManager.

What I don't get, is why the plugins aren't able to be activated in the mu-plugins folder. I guess I'm confused as to the differences between the two folders?

Thank you.

6. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

The mu-plugins folder activates them automatically. The Anarchy MU plugin doesn't have an options menu. It just adds buttons to the RTE. Try that one all by itself first. I have it running on my system, just dropped it in. Make sure you have the latest version.

Then work on the Imagemanager one. I know there's been threads around here about it.

7. skcsknathan001
    Posted 17 years ago #

hey cnpapers,

mu-plugins = AUTOMATICALLY site wide activated for WPMU. You might see options page in the backend. Consult the plugin description. There are only few plugins of this type.

plugins = manually you activate at the backend, which is only for that specific blog. These plugins are the one WP plugins developed all over the internet. If you put them into mu-plugins folder, it may not work. Because it is NOT developed for WPMU, but WP. What usually happens is if you put these plugins to mu-plugins directory that plugin is ONLY activated [automatically] to the main blog.

8. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

"What usually happens is if you put these plugins to mu-plugins directory that plugin is ONLY activated [automatically] to the main blog."

Uh, no. They are activated site-wide unless they have been coded to show up just ofr admin.

Example? Thought you'd never ask... If I put the Widgets plugin in the mu-plugins folder, everyone gets it, not just the main blog.

And the OP gave examples of the specific plugins he's trying to get working.

9. skcsknathan001
    Posted 17 years ago #

Yes you are right andrea, sorry. Sometimes it is sitewide or just a single blog [if its developed that way].

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by cnpapers
  • Latest reply from skcsknathan001