The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

What's the best way to add a forum? (12 posts)

1. dmaher
    Posted 17 years ago #

I've got bbpress working and one of the pages points to http://www.mydomain.com/wpmu/forum and it goes to the forum I created. All is well but the forum obviously doesn't have the same layout as the rest of the website. Is there a way I can have the forum load inside the main page layout when clicking the link? And if I have to hack the PHP to do it, which file will I be hacking?

2. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

You can get bbPress to pull in your site's style pretty easily. I'm not usre *how* exactly, but since they were both made by the same guys, this is pretty basic to it.

Lemme check around...

3. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Basically, you create a new theme for bbpress with your WP theme's styles in it.

Alos see here:
    http://bbpress.org/forums/topic/38

If you poke around a bit more on the bbPress forums, you'll find plenty there to guide you.

4. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

A nice simple tweak is to have the bbpress feed coming in to your planet section in the dashboard.

5. dmaher
    Posted 17 years ago #

Okay, so I've been all over the bbpress forums and I'm still a little confused. There's talk about adding
    require_once('/path/to/wp-blog-header.php');
    define('WP_BB', true);
    to the top of the config.php file and then someone else said not to. Do I have to add this? And if I add it, do I have to recreate the forum again from scratch?
    Also, it tells me to add <?php bb_get_header(); ?> to the header.php file but when I do that it just loads a white page with nothing on it. What am I not understanding about the instructions?

6. Trent
    Posted 17 years ago #

I found it too difficult to try and add 'WP functions' into bbPress, so I just used the source of my blog page to add HTML code for formatting to my header.php and footer.php files of bbPress that I placed in my-templates/ folder.

It takes a little time to figure it out, but it is much easier than adding the wordpress wp-blog-header.php as an include that never worked for me.

My 2 cents.

Trent

7. dmaher
    Posted 17 years ago #

hmmm.......what exactly was it you did? In basic terms, what did you plug in where?

8. Trent
    Posted 17 years ago #

Sorry, let me explain. I basically went to /path-to-bbpress/bb-templates and copied header.php, footer.php and style.css to my desktop using ftp.

Then I created a folder in the main root /path-to-bbpress/my-templates/

Basically, bbPress will try and see if there are any files in my-templates and use them without changing the original template files in bb-templates. Great! If you make a mistake, you just delete your file out of my-templates and it uses the original again!

Anyways, I made changes to header.php to make it look like the first part of my WP template I was trying to use. The basis CSS elements like the header image, the different div's that the Wordpress page uses. I looked at 'the source' of the WP blog and used that code. When I was done editing that file, I uploaded it to /path-to-bbpress/my-templates/

I then did the same with footer.php and then changed colors and added some of the extra fields required to style.css to show up like WP.

Not trying to say this is easy, but there are some pretty good documentation posts in the bbpress.org forum if you want to do some searches.

Sorry, not much help, but I was forced to do this when I couldn't get the include of WP to work in bbPress. If someone can tell you how to do it easily, (say through a page) then maybe research that some more.

Trent

9. dmaher
    Posted 17 years ago #

Ah, so you just changed the header.php and footer.php? That makes sense, and I understand what you said about the my-templates folder, good idea. So I've tried just replacing the header.php file but that didn't work so I'll go to work on cutting it up now. I'll post the results if I run into problems, thanks again.

10. goldfiinger
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi, I'm looking in to adding a forum to my site.

Would using BBpress mean the users of the site and the forum only log in once.

i.e. are the two sides blog and forum integrated. Or do they only work alone, meaning users would have to log in twice depending which section they go to?

Thanks in advance I hope i made my self clear lol :s

11. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

"Would using BBpress mean the users of the site and the forum only log in once."

Yes. you can even integrate them to the point the themes match.

12. goldfiinger
    Posted 16 years ago #

thanks

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by dmaher
  • Latest reply from goldfiinger