The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Why No Autolinking? (15 posts)

1. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

This may have been asked before, but I haven't seen a recent debate on the matter.

Why is autolinking disabled in MU 1.0? Is it a consequence of having redirects in action? Or is it an intended core component required for proper functionality?

When my users drop in a full url, including the http://.... into their posts, it's unfortunate that MU doesn't catch it and turn it into a url.

Hmm....maybe there's a plugin out there somewhere...

2. zeug
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi Suleiman,

the venerable Auto-hyperlink URLs plugin from Coffee2Code works on my 1.0 install from mu-plugins. It prints a nbsp but you can find and replace the nbsp space in the plugin with a ... space no problems.

It also works with the anarchy player for real simple podcasting. :)

3. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

Malcolm, you are a true savior :)

Edit: I spoke to soon. No edits made and after dropping it into mu-plugins I'm still getting nothing when pasting full links. I went to the plugin page and saw it claimed to be able to handle even links without "www." or posted to ".net, .org" etc.,

So no idea why it's not working with a full url here...

4. zeug
    Posted 17 years ago #

Actually just checked and the raw plugin seems to work fine... the nbsp edit was from ages ago from a heavily edited version I run on my Mu's... I really should keep better notes... but then I'd have to collate them all, if I could find them, and...

5. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

lol...could you post the version you're running on your server malcolm? Or create a duplicate .phps file and link to it on this forum?

6. zeug
    Posted 17 years ago #

Just did a diff and it's basically the same as the download from coffe2code, I just added to the regex. But here's a zip of what I've got on my subdomain Mu. It just works, no problems, are you getting errors with yours?

7. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

Malcolm, I tried your version and got the same results.

My personal blog on my site is broken after enabling this plugin. The sidebar no longer displays on the side and now drops below the main content on my blog. You can see that going on over here: suleiman.hadithuna.com

My test blog for testing the link (home.hadithuna.com) has a link which is also not being picked up by this plugin.

8. zeug
    Posted 17 years ago #

yeh, it's all gone nuts. Well I guess if you really want to get this autolinking working I'd do some tests. Maybe comment out:

remove_filter('comment_text', 'make_clickable');
    add_filter('comment_text', 'c2c_hyperlink_urls', 9);

to see if it's a problem with comments. Then change the execution of:

add_filter('the_content', 'c2c_hyperlink_urls', 9);

to a later or earlier time to see if its a timing conflict. Then disable all your other plugins to see if it's a conflict with your Mu install.

And failing all that just give up in disgust and curse the day I ever mentioned it. But hey, it works for me no worries :)

9. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

lol...malcolm i commented out all three of the lines 98-101 and even after removing the call to the function i'm still getting the bad formatting and lack of functionality out of this plugin.

Arghhhh....Cursed be this day! (said in a Captain Barbossa-ish voice)

10. zeug
    Posted 17 years ago #

You commented out all the add_filters and it still breaks??

I guess the functions are loaded cos they're in mu-plugins ... but why would that break anything if they aren't called?

Ummm ... is the plugin php text encoding Western(ISO Latin 1)? Sometimes copy and paste kills stuff for me with weird characters. I'm just grasping at straws here ... but I'd be interested to know why it breaks your Mu so badly.

What version of Mu are you running?

11. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm on mu 1.0, just realized that when i comment out the lines stated above my blog does not in fact break.

[feeling sheepish]

12. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

problem solved. The following plugin works in my mu-plugins folder like a charm!

http://mightyhitter.com/main-page/plugins/mightylinker/

13. zeug
    Posted 17 years ago #

Cool! Cheers for that Suleiman, the coffee2code one was a bit hit and miss, hijacking some of the flash video embeds on some posts. This looks more promising.

14. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

yeah it's a lot simpler Malcolm.

btw, did you hear about the new CNN host Glenn Beck's threats to Muslims that they could be put "behind a razor wire" in concentration camps?

I would say so much for the land of the free and the brave, but then I'd be just as bad as he is.

15. zeug
    Posted 17 years ago #

Those media people are just talking heads, pop culture 'entertainers', but yeh, dangerous too! I think the US has a lot that is good to offer the world, but oil wars are spoiling all our democracies.

Heh, and what has this to do with Mu? Well I just registered anarchyblogs.com and when I get around to it blogger.an-archos.com will be ported over to that domain. My community Mu theme? Anarchism in the philosophical sense of an-archos, the negation of the leadership principle!

It will be an interesting experiment in social networking anyways, a social libertarian Mu.

About this Topic