The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Someone please set this up for me (will pay) (7 posts)

1. vppremier
    Posted 17 years ago #

I've tried over a dozen times to install wordpress without success. Sometimes the admin password was missing sometimes the blog posts were not found, others all the css was gone.

I cannot get it to work and would like to offer someone $20 to set it up working for me.

I use godaddy as my host.
    I want wordpress installed in root
    I want the urls in subdomain format as in userblog.myurl.com
    I have an existing index.php file in the root that needs to be preserved.
    I will pay via paypal.

I am only doing this after I've tried for almost two weeks to get this running using this forum and other members as help, but have not been successful.

If interested reply here and we'll get in touch

2. zeug
    Posted 17 years ago #

$20? So that would be about 15mins work at casual rates? You a funny man :)

And do you mean WordPress or WordPress Multi User server? They are two very different beasts.

If it's WPMu first thing I'd do is hit the GoDaddy forums to see if anyone else is mad enough to try and run a bleeding edge multiuser blog server there and what their experience might be. Then I'd contact GoDaddy support, explain to them what you're wanting to do and ask them for a wildcard DNS entry on your domain and an Apache VirtualHost wildcard as well. If they won't do that then you can't have subdomains.

Then delete the index.php, you simply can't have it in root and use Mu. What's in it anyway? If it's just content it can go in your main site blog.

Then ... once that's all done, you might as well try once more or employ someone to clear your mySQL db, install a clean Mu and customize your root blog, probably at rates well in excess of a flat $20 fee. This is server software after all.

3. vppremier
    Posted 17 years ago #

It didn't take me longer than 10 mins to configure everthing. Even if I am doing something wrong would it take more than 30 mins considering I would have a fresh db for it and a fresh copy of the files?

If it will then I will offer more. Sorry for the lack of info, it's wpmu that I am trying to install.

4. zeug
    Posted 17 years ago #

It really depends on whether the GoDaddy shared hosting, if that is what you're on, is good for Mu. If it isn't, and they don't support wildcards, then you could just be in for a world of pain fiddling around trying to get it all working properly, which actually seems to be the case here.

I have a subdirectories install of Mu 1.0 working nicely on a uni server but I'm admin and control the server environment (IT refuses to do subdomains so far, universities can be such Byzantine institutions). And yes it just takes a few minutes to install the plain vanilla Mu although there were still a few bugs to squash, but customization on the other hand is a long involved process.

What sort of blogging community are you wanting to support?

5. vppremier
    Posted 17 years ago #

Nothing of a large size, it's a small site, and the blogs will be utilized by around 100 at max I would assume.

And yes I do use go daddys shared hosting running on a linux server. Can you help me?

6. vppremier
    Posted 17 years ago #

anyone?

7. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

"I have an existing index.php file in the root that needs to be preserved."

For $20, I'd do everything but that part.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by vppremier
  • Latest reply from andrea_r