The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

getting spam coming through PXS Mail plugin (4 posts)

1. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

hi there,

I have been using this http://www.phrixus.co.uk/pxsmail/ plugin for quite a while on severall websites, but lately I stated getting spam coming from severall sites through this contact form.

I am not sure if it is automated or if a spammer is manually sending me spam, but I'd like to stop it :-)

so I am open to any clues, maybe using another contact formular?

2. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

I frequently use the secure contact form plugin from Dagon Design.

The only time I've gotten a spam through it, was when someone actually sat there and typed it out. Guess they were desperate, but still that's only happened twice.

3. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

well, what should I be looking for to determine if a spam mai lis manually typed in?

from the numbers (7 I remember so far) I guess they were manually typed in, the bad thing is they do not get filterd by my spamfilter :-(

the mails do look like this:

lg phones wrote:
    Very good site! <a href="h**p://lgphones-new.blogspot.com">lg phones</a>
    [url=h**p://lgphones-new.blogspot.com]lg phones[/url], <a
    href=h**p://xoomer.alice.it/youfreeslots/>free slots,
    [url=h*p://xoomer.alice.it/youfreeslots/]free slots[/url].
    IP:*.**.*.**

my spamassassin lets it through:

X-Spam-Status: No, score=-2.4 required=3.7 tests=BAYES_00,DNS_FROM_RFC_ABUSE,
    NO_RELAYS autolearn=no version=3.1.7

maybe if I feed it into its spam DB it will filter these mails according to BAYES lets see....

btw. I butchered the links so I do not post spam links here, also took out the IP

4. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Nothing I know of, at the moment, can prevent someone actually sitting there and typing it in.

Unless a particular email form plugin could be tweaked to be monitored by sk2, akismet, bad behavior, or something similar.

If it's an actual person, captcha's are ineffective.

The biggest advantage of it all is that 99.999999% of spammers won't waste their time on manual submission.

If it took lets say one minute per site, that's 60 messages an hour. Compared to the thousands per hour with their little spam bots, it just isn't "worth it" to them to "lose" their "productivity".

About this Topic