The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Imported posts do not appear (3 posts)

1. brosage
    Posted 17 years ago #

I am attempting to import a hefty pile of WordPress and Movable Type blogs into my WordPress MU installation and am having an odd experience.

I have correctly exported blogs from both platforms and attempted to test-import both, and have had (at times) success in advancing to MU's author assignment window which immediately follows the uploading of the export file. But after I assign authors and get the "Have fun!" window, I go to manage my posts and none of the imported material appears. It's as if I never imported anything at all.

So my question is two-fold...
    1. Are there any changes I need to make to my import php files in WordPress MU to make this work?

2. Is there any way to manually upload these export files via FTP and then import from their web location so I can avoid php uploading errors (which come and go)?

I appreciate everyone's timely response and help. I'm obviously at a standstill on a very large project. Thank you.

2. corourke
    Posted 17 years ago #

From what I've been able to tell, the import functions are really hit or miss on working. I've had perfect wordpress imports and then some that would fill the blog with garbage. Same with MT.

You're almost better off doing it manually, copy and pasting into each post and then changing the date.

1. I think there's an updated wordpress import file in the trac, which might help.

2. If you have access to the original wordpress site's dbase you could try exporting the database and then manually changing it to be compatible with wpmu's database method but as of yet I don't know if there is anyway to have the import folder look locally. That might be handy in the event of upgrade mishaps.

3. zappoman
    Posted 16 years ago #

I realize this is a really old post, but I've recently been fighting wordpress to wordpress importing and ended up rebuilding the plugin substantially.

You can find my plugin here:

http://heftagaub.wordpress.com/2007/05/26/improved-wordpress-to-wordpress-importer/

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by brosage
  • Latest reply from zappoman