The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Bandwidth Limite (11 posts)

1. mshs
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi,
    Is there a way to determine the Bandwidth per account?

2. wpvince
    Posted 17 years ago #

This would be a useful feature.
    I have asked before, but no answers. :-(

3. dsader
    Posted 17 years ago #

You can copy bits 'o code from Dr. Mike's space.php plugin into the tables in wpmu-blogs.php. Get his plugin working normally first.

4. mshs
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi dsader,
    What's (or where is) "Dr. Mike's space.php"?

5. dsader
    Posted 17 years ago #

6. wpvince
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi dsader,
    Forgive me, but AFAIK Dr. Mike's space.php is for disk space, not bandwidth control?
    Thanks

7. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

yep, the space-remaining is for upload space, not bandwith.

8. wpvince
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi andrea,
    so is there no way an WPMU administrator can have control of user bandwidth?

I'm thinking some blogs with popular file downloads could get out of hand?

Many thanks

9. stewdio
    Posted 17 years ago #

One thing I can suggest, is to limit the file size uploads to something small, like less then 500k, or smaller, like 100k.

Two reasons. One, you won't get incredibly large files on your server, eating valuable space on limited shared hosting accounts. Two, and the subsequent reason for the first point, is that when the page is loaded with the uploaded file (IE:a picture), it won't use much bandwidth. If it's an audio or video clip, your bandwidth usage will be determined on he popularity of the file.

You can also limit the space allocated to your users. I suggest 5mb for starters.

Assume you have 4GB left on your account. 20mb per user (as set out in WPMU Administration settings) and assume all users take up their allocated space of 20mb.

You will only have enough space left for 200 users max. Drop it to 5mb and you can inch towards the 800 user limit, assuming 4gb of webspace.

Of course this all has to do with bandwidth. Smaller space + smaller file size per user = less bandwidth used.

Start small. When you get a larger account based on your needs, up the space allocations up a bit for your users. They will think your a god!

If your in a shared hosting environment, and you are running a popular service, you will soon find out that you will need a dedicated service for greater speed, space and bandwidth. You will also need to fine tune your control. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.

To answer you question though, the only relal way you can monitor your bandwidth usage is through (assuming ) Cpanel, or what ever front side administrative interface your provider well, provides.

Bandwidth control is offered through Cpanel/WHM services for reseller accounts, but even that won't help you unless you configure bind and VHost for the domain where your WPMU blog is hosted. And even thats /WAY/ over my head.

10. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

"so is there no way an WPMU administrator can have control of user bandwidth?"

nope.

"I'm thinking some blogs with popular file downloads could get out of hand?"

The suggestion above - to limit file upload size - is probably the best workaround. There's also a way in the admin to limit exactly what kinds of files can be uploaded, so you could block mp3's for example.

Honestly on a large popular MU site, I've found the biggest bandwidth suck to be the admin area, what with everyone logging in the backend all the time. :D

11. wpvince
    Posted 17 years ago #

Oh well, I can only hope the dev team will implement it at some stage. I want to create free and paid blog plans for my users, so need this and file upload size to be able to handle this.

Until then, I suppose WPMU can only be used for free blog hosting, and not allow user blogs to become popular. ;-)

About this Topic