The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Moving from WordPress to WordPressMU (6 posts)

1. wackomenace
    Posted 17 years ago #

I have a WordPress 2.0.4 installation at a domain running a single blog. Now, I wish to offer blogs to other people at subdomains of that domain, and I wanted to know if I could move the original blog to WordPressMU in-place rather than keeping it separate or risking the deletion of all my blog posts and comments. That blog would be served at the www subdomain, with other blogs being served at other subdomains.

2. corourke
    Posted 17 years ago #

Well you can set it as the default blog which would be domain.com and then all others would be user.domain.com.

The www isn't needed really.

My advice would be:

1. Export your posts/pages/etc
    2. wipe the domain files clean and delete the database.
    3. Install wpmu
    4. Use the import tool to import the backup from step 1
    5. Edit the home.php as you need to allow signups and advertise your new blogging site :D

3. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

6. Know what you're getting into with MU. What its designed to do, and that it requires good knowledge of apache, mysql, and php.

4. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Oh, I didn't notice it a second ago, but MU will remove the www from your domain.

5. wackomenace
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks for your replies - I'll post something here if I manage to get it working...

6. pumpkinslayer
    Posted 17 years ago #

You can install it at root and add some lines to the .htaccess to get the subdomains working correctly for other applications.

Install wpmu first and import and get it working. Just move the other stuff around for a bit.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by wackomenace
  • Latest reply from pumpkinslayer