The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

show me a working wpmu site with blog registration (11 posts)

1. dubaidan
    Posted 17 years ago #

Can anybody point me to an example installation of wpmu that has blog registration working.

2. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Any particular reason?

3. dubaidan
    Posted 17 years ago #

I want to check how the registration process works when you choose to register with no blog. As I am getting redirected to pages that don't exist. (404 errors)

I just found http://filmjournal.net in the forums, 'ColinFilmJournal' has done a nice job with the register/login process. But you still get the 'You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page.' message when you log in.

4. dubaidan
    Posted 17 years ago #

Some of my problems were fixed with the NoCaps.php plugin found here

5. mypatricks
    Posted 17 years ago #

please see blogates.com/ :)

6. dubaidan
    Posted 17 years ago #

On my installation of WPMU I noticed the 'Allow Users to Register' was missing from dashboard/options/general, (compared to wordpress single installation) - but that was fixed with this

7. dubaidan
    Posted 17 years ago #

Blogates is lovely, nice work. My humble MU site is far from this...

I notice you have avoided the 'User Registration' problems, by getting every user to create a blog... So even if you click 'just a username', it still directs you to create a blog.

Off topic, is the 'green bar' at the top of your screen a plug-in or hack, it's very useful when u have multiple accounts.

8. mypatricks
    Posted 17 years ago #

thanks for your notice, it's updated!

9. ColinFilmJournal
    Posted 17 years ago #

I've been working on the FilmJournal.net login process and hopefully it's a bit better now. Feedback and comments are always appreciated :)

10. dubaidan
    Posted 17 years ago #

Colin, you have the create blog/user working exactly how I imagined it would. I would be really interested in how you did this.

I created an account on FilmJournal.net without a blog, after activation it re-directed me back to your home page and not to the "You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page". Did you use NoCaps.php to solve this?

I like how you can add a blog, even if your logged in as a user with no blog. I also like how the add blog page lists your other blogs... Is this something you added to wp-signup.php?

My only feedback about the login process is to do with semantics, your site is called film journal, which consists of journals whereas the signup refers to blogs throughout.

Altogether a really nice site. I find it so useful seeing how others have implemented WPMU.

11. ColinFilmJournal
    Posted 17 years ago #

Didn't do anything fancy.

1. I did use NoCaps.php to resolve the problem with it directing to the login page for non-blog users. I installed this into the mu-plugins directory and it sorted my issues.

2. The standard wp-signup.php page detects whether the user has a blog or not and gives them the option to add one. Nothing fancy there. In the header I just check for a $user_ID to determine whether the user is logged in or not and display the appropriate options (Login / Logout etc).

As for the Blog/Journal thing - I agree and I'll be removing the 'Blog' references when I get a chance :)

Thanks for the comments - they're always helpful.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by dubaidan
  • Latest reply from ColinFilmJournal