The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

extra domain in url (3 posts)

1. VL
    Posted 17 years ago #

Trying to install mu wordpress from address admin.mysite.com. its ok. when trying to add blog 'test', it is added to address test.admin.mysite.com, but i need only test.mysite.com. Maybe there are simple solution? i cant access mysite.com, only subdomains ....

2. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=2942&replies=3

MU is functioning as designed, so you know.

You'll have to modify a couple core files to support your main site on a subdomain, and the users sites on the same subdomain level.

3. jaredbangs
    Posted 17 years ago #

I actually did this a while back when I first started using MU, because I had a standard WP install already set up at the domain level. It's like lunabyte said, you need to modify a few core files and some database values for the main blog. I wouldn't recommend it though, as it kind of complicates your setup and introduces non-standard stuff that will make it more difficult to support and upgrade going forward.

One other option you may consider is that if you don't need the main site to be public (which I'm only speculating about based on your "admin.mysite.com" choice of subdomain), AND you aren't running the MU install on the same IP as whatever is running at the primary (mysite.com) domain, you may just be able to admin it from a workstation with a hosts file that tells it to use your MU IP address for the mysite.com domain, and everything should theoretically work out of the box. This would also mean that you wouldn't have signups publicly accessible either, which may or may not be OK for you, depending on your requirements.

All that is totally untested speculation, though, but might be worth a try and (if it satisfies what you need) will definitely be less complicated than modifying core files.

About this Topic