The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Changing Domain Name (11 posts)

1. jasongolod
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Is there an easy way to change the domain name of the install by changing some entries in some db tables? I found a couple of entries and tried changing them, but I had no luck. We have a few blogs setup already and I would love to preserve them.

2. jessep
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'd also really like to know how to do this.

3. Rubyducky
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'd also like to know how to do this.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Search and replace in the db, I think. There's more than a couple occurances of the domain name.

5. Rubyducky
    Posted 17 years ago #

Do you know exactly where in the db?

6. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Like I said, it's in too many places. Do a search and phpmyadmin will tell you of every single occurance. :)

7. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

Whatever you figure out please document it on http://codex.wordpress.org/WPMU_Database_Description

Thanks, M.

8. dsader
    Posted 17 years ago #

Download the db to desktop, open in a text editor, replace all olddomian.tld with newdomain.tld. Replaced 26, 000.

All's well.

9. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I think that's what Andrea suggested in the first place. :)

Please note - Text editor. Be sure to save it as text as well. Word is not a text editor. Neither is WordPad unless you save it as a text file and even then you could possibly muck it up.

10. filflongo
    Posted 17 years ago #

Just an idle question this (having just done the find/replace thing) - why does WP use absolute URLs at all? Is there a reason why it's not all server-root relative?

11. billnoyes
    Posted 17 years ago #

Both solutions work fine. I just used the Search feature in phpmyadmin to find all references of my domain name and then changed them. This is a new installation of MU so this was doable, if you have a large number of blog posts you will have a large number of changes to make. It would be nice if MU didn't use absolute paths for every post to the site. I am sure this is being changed in the future versions. Thanks to the creators for such a good framework at a 1.0 version.

About this Topic

• Started 18 years ago by jasongolod
  • Latest reply from billnoyes