The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Block registration. (29 posts)

1. onetime1
    Posted 17 years ago #

I've attempted to seach and haven't found anything solid.
    I'm looking to block signup to unknown users.
    Something as simple as a generic "registration code".

I'd rather not keep moving the sign-up file.

2. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

I think there's an invite only mod running around here somewhere.

Other than that, you'd have to build a function where they "sign up", but really it only sends the request to you by mail on the backend.

Then, you would go in and add the blog through site admin, and it "should" (if i remember right) email them a password or activation key.

3. jaredbangs
    Posted 17 years ago #

Sounds like a good plan. You may be able to do it without altering the core code by overriding the wp_mail function (which is "pluggable") and changing the To: address to your own, for activation e-mails only (which you could filter out based on subject, etc.).

4. mypatricks
    Posted 17 years ago #

here are WPMU Captcha for registration, to stop spammer use auto script to signup.

See here

5. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

What about password-protecting that file?

6. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

I have some issues with the: WPMU Captcha for registration

I did all that was indicated on the website: http://mu.bloggles.info/2006/12/14/wpmu-captcha-for-registration/

but it does not work, check it out her: http://zice.ro/wp-signup.php

if I call the wp-validat.php manually http://zice.ro/wp-valid.php I get this error:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: imagerotate() in /var/www/web5/web/wp-valid.php on line 58

any ideas?

7. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

That's a PHP/GD issue.

Make sure you're using PHP>=v4.3 and gd is compiled to work with it.

8. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

ok, thats the issue, I have php < 4.3 .... that was not mentioned anywhere...

I'll wait until debian 4.0 is out and see what php version is included in stable by then, until then bad luck for me, I'M stuck with the actual stable version of php included in debian 3.1

thx for helping me out.

9. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Deb stable comes with a PHP version less than 4.3? Wow. I'm speechless.

I like deb flavors, but all my web servers are running Cent or OS X Server. :D

Personal preference I guess. Deb's fine on servers, I just prefer Cent.

10. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Do note that I'm not 100% on my answer but dropping your error into Google came up with a number of mentions about that.

11. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

I was a little wrong, current version of php i ndebian 3.1 is PHP Version 4.3.10-18 ....

12. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Wow. Still... 4.4.X has been stable for quite a while now. I figured they'd at least have 4.4.1 or something.

13. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

the release of debian etch (hope I spelled it right, currently in testing and frozen right now) is scheduled for the end of january... it might bring some never version though I have not checked recently.

14. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

does anyone know of a method to get this working with debian's curent php version?

I guess I need a captcha for blog registration, as I just got 10 new splogs in a couple of seconds :-(

15. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

I dunno. I wrote my own, and it uses the GD2 library.

Why not just upgrade php? It isn't that difficult.

16. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

I don't want to introduce packages from the testing branch... I'll rather wait and miss this "function". guess thats it for the moment :-(

17. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Ever thought about another distro? I'd have to fire up one of my laptops, but it's running Mepis and I'm darn sure it's got a newer php version. That is, if you prefer to keep it in the deb family.

If that isn't a concern, you can't go wrong with CentOS. I use it on all my production servers, save 2 which are running RHEL by client request. Same diff to me really, other than Cent comes without the price tag for updates, and "official support" from RH. Of course this is on my traditional linux boxes. I've got a few XServe's too. ;)

Some people get into the whole politics of the particular branch/distro. For me, I could care less. I want something that works, and does it's job. Which is why I love OS X. :D

18. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Changing OSes on a working box is not pretty.

19. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

Changing OSes on a working box is not pretty.

:-) hehe, damn right and its no option for me as I have been running debian for almost 3 years ther now and I always managed to get along with it...

I just found a list with etch aka debian 4.0 packages:

Server

PHP 5.2.0

MySQL 5.0.30

Asterisk 1.2

Apache 2.2

OTRS 2.0.4 (in package otrs2)

PostgreSQL 8.1 including Slony and PostGIS

XSP / mod_mono 1.2.2

it seems its going to be php 5.2.0 :-)

20. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

I wouldn't do it just for fun, but it isn't that bad. Now if it's really heavily used, that's different.

21. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

one more question, although this topic went kind of offtopic ;-)

do you think I will have any problems when upgrading from php 4.3.10-18 and mysql 4.0.24 to PHP 5.2.0 MySQL 5.0.30 regarding wordpress and wpmu?

Please keep in mind I am only asking about wpmu and wp, not any other implications.

22. amanzi
    Posted 17 years ago #

@onetime1 - what do you mean by "I'm looking to block signup to unknown users"? Does that mean that you only want people you know to signup? Or do you just want to stop the spolgs?

There is an option in the WPMU admin site to only allow registrations to domains that you have set. If you set this option to: "xyz.com" then only people signing up with email addresses from that domain will be allowed. Can you use this to help you out?

You could also add an extra field to the signup form which asks for a registration code, and then check for the code after the form submits.

I edited my signup form to only allow NZ users to sign up using a geo-ip function I found somewhere.

23. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

Everything worked well for me, except for one the incy-wincy problem that no matter how many times I tried the captcha it didn't seem to think I was right :(

24. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

Cross posted from the latest release here: http://mu.bloggles.info/2007/02/10/updated-wpmu-captcha-registration/

"I think there's a problem with wpmu 1.1 - the script works fine for my 1.0 installs and seems to be OK for 1.1 but you can never get past the captcha - it always says you've got it wrong."

25. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 17 years ago #

There's also a filter you can use to add another check to the signup form. Look in wp-includes/wpmu-functions.php at wpmu_validate_user_signup()
    Right at the end of that function there's an apply_filters() you can use to filter the $result array. Simply create a filter that looks at the username, and email and adds an error message if they don't meet the criteria of your website.

I'm planning a blog post about this and TOS stuff sometime this week so stay tuned :)

26. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

Certainly shall :)

27. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

Apparently this is the problem... now to figure out how to fix it :)

"$_SESSION['string'] variable is always empty, and it has to contain the text which is shown on the image."

28. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Gotta have a valid session before adding vars to it. ;)

29. zylstra
    Posted 17 years ago #

donncha, where is your blog located?

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by onetime1
  • Latest reply from zylstra