The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Preventing content customisations affecting all same-theme blogs? (3 posts)

1. dgilmour
    Posted 17 years ago #

Customising a WPMU template will affect every blog using that theme, so I didn't expect this approach to be used in WPMU.

Then I found that, for example, http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/List-All, provides a function that can be called in WPMU (in this case to list all blogs).

I'm new to WPMU, and trying to understand how this works. How do I use such a function, but affect only a single blog? Do I have to add in conditional terms to the template, for example, so that the function's only called for the blog I want it used in?

I guess there must be a fairly standard work-around for this, but despite a few days searching over the hols, I haven't found a discussion. I'd really appreciate some pointers to what others do. Apologies if I'm missing something obvious.

2. pumpkinslayer
    Posted 17 years ago #

You'd have to test for whether its that blog or not. Whether you build this as a plugin to the theme, or hardcode it, you'd still need to test.

Global variables $blog_id and $current_user might help you out a little.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Either make a copy of the theme in questions, rename both the folder and the theme name in style.css, or pick a theme just for you, and allow access just to admin (I mean, the admin blog or whatever blog has the customizations).

Then you can do whatever edits to the theme you like and it won't affect anyone else.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by dgilmour
  • Latest reply from andrea_r