The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

"check email" loop at blog-signup page (26 posts)

1. latitudes
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm playing with WPMU on my Dev server, running Apache 2 / php 5

http://ptblogs.bonsaibox.net/wp-signup.php

When I try to sign up for a new blog, it just keeps telling me to "Please check your email address."

Any suggestions?

2. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Did you check your email, even the spam folder? :)

3. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Also, does your dev box have sendmail/smtp available?

I know on my local ones I've turned it off. So to see get email working, I've used the coffee2code SMTP plugin, which lets you specify an SMTP server, username, and password to use so that MU (or WP for that matter) can send mail normally.

You "can" edit the hash in the db to a known password hash or create a new one, but then you also don't get to see mail being sent from MU, and what it looks like. To me, I like to see what it's doing, and when it's doing it. Part of which is email. Then if I want to modify it I can, and see the results without having to be on one of my production boxes.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Ooo, also check the server logs to make sure it was sent.

5. latitudes
    Posted 17 years ago #

sendmail is enabled - had to be in order to install WPMU in the first place (it emails the admin password) -- and no, it never got trapped in the spam filter.

The problem isn't that its not sending email, its that the account creation page keeps reloading, highlighting the email box red, and saying to "Please check your email address." - not as in Check my Email Inbox, but as in Verify the email address data entered because there's something wrong with it.

Go to the url and give it a try.

6. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Well, that's a much better description of the problem.

Have you made any edits to either wp-signup.php, or wpmu-functions.php?

That would be the first place to start looking.

Also you can't use the same email address twice, just so you know.

7. latitudes
    Posted 17 years ago #

I have not touched a thing, and have tried about 6 addresses.

8. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Did you set anything under Site Admin -> Options, like only allowing specific domains the ability to register?

Is there any whitespace after the last name there?

9. latitudes
    Posted 17 years ago #

I didn't set anything... Might be some whitespace to. I'll check...

10. latitudes
    Posted 17 years ago #

No whitespace. I installed via wget & unzip, so I don't think anything could have become corrupt or gone missing. I'm using the stable 1.0 release, not the nighly. I don't know what else to check...

11. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

It's got to be something very peculiar. It's popping back with a red flag on the email address, but why.

Things that I know can trigger this:

1) <strike>Email already in use on the system.</strike>

I know for certain my email isn't in your system, and it flagged my address.

2) <strike>Invalid email address format.</strike>

I'm not sure on this one, but if it were a possibility I wouldn't be able to use my email address on my site either.

3) Domain isn't allowed. Setting in Site Admin -> Options (where you only allow certain domains to register).

Is this field completely blank? Although I think that might be a different error message.

4) Cached output.

Do you have some sort of caching going on like Zend, eAccelerator, or something of the sort? It might be a bad cached page or something that isn't overwritten.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head at the moment. Unless there's some weird chance issue with your version of Apache and PHP that hasn't reared its head yet.

12. latitudes
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm using MU successfully on Dreamhost for the moment, and I'll continue to until I get this issue (clearly specific to my dev box) resolved.

I think its going to require some digging - a weird versioning issue sounds like the most plausible explanation. I *just* built this dev box and used the latest stable versions of Apache and PHP. Need to look up exactly what those are, and then I'll let you know.

btw, the Dev box is colo'ed, running Gentoo Linux, fairly robust. Not just a PII running windows sitting in a closet somewhere. (no real relevance to that comment other than to demonstrate that i'm not newbie :P )

13. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Well, you know what they say. A bad day on a linux box still beats a good day on a windows one.

This may sound crazy, but stranger things have happened.

I have a bare minimum local box, that I use for testing various things to see if they indeed can survive on it.

As an example, of the applications I've tested recently vanilla absolutely did not like being on that box. Even though it meets their published "requirements". Were talking Apache 1.3.23 (or is it 26 or 28? one of those), Php 4.3.3, and OS X (10.2, Jaguar). Half the ajax stuff doesn't work worth a fudge. It just doesn't "feel" like working I guess.

So, not saying that's the issue, but it isn't out of the question that the particular build of PHP (or Apache) is just not up to playing ball.

Although it very well could just be a typo too.

14. Elemem
    Posted 17 years ago #

I had the same problem.

Uploading a fresh /wp-includes/wpmu-functions.php and overwriting the old one fixed the problem.

Both files had exactly the same file size. But I wasn't sure, I might have replaced some character in the old wpmu-functions.php file by accident at some point.

So I am still not sure if was caused by me, by wordpress, or a plugin. Sendmail was running all the while, and wpmu isn#t using sendmail anyway AFAIK.

15. Elemem
    Posted 17 years ago #

Got the same thing again when testing with a "fantasy" domain,

and after a deeper look into /wp-includes/wpmu-functions.php it seems that wpmu is doing a basic check if the domain of the email address provided does even exist, with the php function "checkdnsrr" on line 776.

So far all email addresses on existing domains seem to go through while non existing domains get blocked by that error message.

16. DeanStev
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm also having this issue when using a gmail email address to signup for a blog with - I'm using gmail hosted for all my mail services...

if you do a dns report, the mx records are there, and I can send and receive mail, I just cant work out why it wont let me sign up... bah!

17. blogcity
    Posted 17 years ago #

Watch out for this error! I was totally confused as to why I was also getting this "loop" back - until I read this post and it all made sense, I was using random domain names to just get past the signup page, knowing that the domains do not exist.

However, I then tried a domain that I know is registered but, I then noticed it does not resolve so obviously it wouldnt work either. Tried a domain that does resolve and perfecto - right past in style :)

No editing, no error, just WordPress doing it's job with DNS checks and getting returns of the domains not functioning.

All good, don't let this one catch you too :) (i was beginning to pull my hair out!!) hehe

18. aktxyz
    Posted 17 years ago #

Just wordpress doing it's job ?

The guy above talks about WP trying to do a dns resolve on the domain before accepting the email.

these work for me
    - @gmail.com
    - @hotmail.com

these fail, always telling me check the email, never letting me off the 1st page of creating a blog...
    - @ibm.com
    - @mycompanyname.com

If it was a DNS issue, ibm.com should be working...

still stuck, and pretty annoyed

19. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Not it wouldn't because ibm.com doesn't accept mail. You have to send it to a specific mail server depending on what plant the box holder is at.

Worked there building Macs for 9 months. One of the strangest jobs I've ever had. Working for IBM and making Macs.

20. nekt
    Posted 17 years ago #

I have the same problem "Check Email"!
    Sometimes it works sometimes now, but mostly 90% not.
    I don't know why it is - any suggestions or fix?

21. merolhack
    Posted 16 years ago #

Please Help me!! i have the same problem!! :(

22. merolhack
    Posted 16 years ago #

Por favor ayudenme, es lo unico que me falta paraa acabar con el blog:

http://blog.ilce.edu.mx/

Saludos!!

23. ala101
    Posted 16 years ago #

Iam facing the same problem now !
    I have not played in any configuration ..
    I just signed up yesterday with Google apps .. so i altered the CNAME record (mail) and added 5 A records .

Is this the reason of the problem ?
    If yes , then should i delete these records which i made for google apps ?

TIA!

p.s i uploaded wp-signup.php / functions.php / wpmu-functions.php again and the problem is not solved yet

24. ala101
    Posted 16 years ago #

(update)
    i deleted the new records which i added for google apps..
    even though new members are unable to register at all till now :(

25. ala101
    Posted 16 years ago #

Could anybody at least tell me which files may cause this problem so i try to upload them again ?

26. harouni
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hey people.
    I'm having this same problem in my new install of WPmu. I've tried re-uploading the /wp-includes/wpmu-functions.php file, but am still getting this error.

I know for sure that the email address I'm using exists.
    If anyone has the answer to this perplexing problem, please post it :)

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by latitudes
  • Latest reply from harouni