The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

htaccess.dist ruined everything (4 posts)

1. erinther
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi,
    I have a wmpu installation which worked very fine. I tried to modify htaccess.dist but I got error. Then I removed it and replaced it with original htaccess.dist file. Now none of blogs shows up and for exapmle for test blog(http://uiopluss.no/test) it says:
    The requested URL /test was not found on this server.
    Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
    I don't know what to do?

2. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Editing the .dist file probably shoudln't have changed anything - are you sure you weren't editing htaccess. instead?

All you do it edit the htaccess.dist again and save it as htacess. (no extension)

3. erinther
    Posted 17 years ago #

finally i sold it. I changed the name to .htaccess and removed BASE in the second line. Thanks for your help

4. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

"Now I'm a little bit confused! should we have both htaccess.dist and .htaccess? if so, then I had only htaccess.dist."

Yes, you should have both. On installation, MU take swhat is in htaccess.dist, makes light modifications with your site details and writes it to htaccess. You *need* an htaccess file for the site to work.

It might just be easier / faster to run the install again.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by erinther
  • Latest reply from andrea_r