The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Private Message Plug-in (48 posts)

1. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

well,

I would love to have a mixture of all these plugins:

its of no use, I just read a message from a user, but have no way to respond... so what if it would interact with the send private message plugin and let me use the send private message plugin to respond to the user?

friends-list:

I now have a list of friends - so what? what if this would interact with the send priv. mes. and let me send mesages to my friends? aka select my friends and send messages? or automatically send a mess. when I add somebody as a friend so he can add me too

mass-mailing-plugin:

I can send emaisl to everybody, but still no possibility to send only to specific users? like a dropdown like the send priv. mes? or send mail to friends?

send private message:

sounds nice if it works and would be even greater if it had a autocomplete (ajax) so I could find friends I want to send mes. easiear, and maybe a drop-down as suggested? maybe even send to more than one person?

ok, thats what I was expecting these plugins to do but it seems I had overestimated them...

2. WDuluoz
    Posted 17 years ago #

Friend-list:
    Wouldnt be hard to rewrite the friends list to look for private notes and add this:
    pn_compose_note_url($username)

It creates a link to send a message to user.

I dont understand exactly why this would be needed if you had private notes.

Mass-mailing plugin:
    It is good for send a newsletter or a notice to all your users.
    You could either modify Mass-mailing to be a email program for the Admin to select who you want or modify Private notes to send to multiple users.
    The only difference would be where the message would go: mail or database.

Maybe set up something to check for private messages and send an email to the user, but it wouldnt serve as a notice that the site is going down for maintenance because the user would not get the message.

WDuluoz

3. xiand0
    Blocked
    Posted 17 years ago #

From sitewidefooter.php:

if ( ! is_user_logged_in() ){
    (..)
    }else{
    if ( function_exists('pn_private_notes') ) :
    $this_author= get_the_author();
    if ( ! ($user_identity === $this_author) ):
    $customfooter .=
    'You are reading ' . get_bloginfo('name') . ''
    . ' (<a href="' . $user_url
    . 'wp-admin/users.php?page=private_notes.php&cmd=compose&to=' . get_the_author()
    . '">send pm)
    ';
    endif;
    endif;

$customfooter .= 'Logged in as ' . $user_identity . ' | ';
    (...)

It's probably easy to add this to the admin bar on top for those who use that. I sort of think's it's better to have this random blog etc. stuff at the bottom - but hey, that's just my opinion.

As for the footer, I probably did a "bad" thing by adding footer code to all templates, but hey, works4me:

<?php
    if ( function_exists('sitewide_footer') ){
    $sitewidefooter = sitewide_footer();
    echo '
    ' . $sitewidefooter;
    }else{

?>

(..footer for anyone who downloads my themes and don't use a sitewide..)

<?php } ?>

4. pug
    Posted 16 years ago #

I've found this nice bbpress plugin:

(BBPress Private Messaging)
    http://www.rayd.org/forums/topic/44

Actually i'm sharing users between my wpmu and bbpress. Assuming that user_IDs in both dbs are equal you could easilly add this feature to your blogs allowing users to send and receive pms trough this plugin.

Hope this could help.

5. Kahil
    Posted 16 years ago #

that bbpress plugin does work, I have done so over at yourkahil.com.

the only thing i haven't been able to figure out how to do with it is to make it so that while on the wordpress side you can display the same notification of new messages that you can while in the forum.

6. pug
    Posted 16 years ago #

yup that would be great. I'll try posting this req on the plugin page.

7. ColourDreamer
    Posted 16 years ago #

I cannot open tar.gz files, what can I do?

8. ColourDreamer
    Posted 16 years ago #

OK so where is the resulting, working-best plugin you have all decided on?

9. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

Not sure what zip program you're using but I believe winzip will handle a tar.gz. And, if it can't, I know winrar will.

Haven't messed with private messaging so I can't give you an answer on this one I'm afraid.

10. Mattz
    Posted 16 years ago #

So this plugin is usable for PM's without installing BBpress ?

I need to find a way to have PM communication between the Admin and users, not the users.

11. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

hey guys,

any news on this thread? anything new? do these old plugins and hacks stil work?

12. phlux0r
    Posted 15 years ago #

How about BuddyPress? It provides messaging, friends, groups, etc... Work is under way to make it so that you can install it on an active Mu install as opposed to having to start with it from a fresh install.

13. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

yeah, I know about buddypress, I guess my children will one day use that, it should be at least in Beta stage in a couple of years ;-)
    I guess we'll just have to wait until then...

14. boonika
    Posted 15 years ago #

;)

15. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

http://xsnp.livelyblog.com/

Has a PM module.

C'mon guys, look harder. :D

16. maka1
    Posted 15 years ago #

andrea, the link doesnt seem to work, do you have the package? can u send it to me pls? :)

17. maka1
    Posted 15 years ago #

oh, i think it has loaded and i now got it, tnx a lot!!

18. digibluez
    Posted 15 years ago #

Nice find, thanks--> http://xsnp.livelyblog.com/

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by empiucci80
  • Latest reply from digibluez