The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

sh*t list for domains (53 posts)

1. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

That place is a breeding ground for sh*t list people.

You know, I was discussing this with one of my partners the other day. We wonder what would happen if the very top level bandwidth providers started cutting off the networks from where spam (email, comments, whatever) and all this crap was coming from.

Let's say the top level provider is "Fred, Inc.", and they sell access to "Barney, LLC" in whatever country. Well, Barney sub-leases bandwith to "The Sally Co.", and "The Sally Co." tends to have a lot of spam email generated from within their network. "Barney, LLC" overlooks this, as "The Sally Co." pays them a nice tidy sum for their use.

However, after "Barney, LLC" ignores these complaints, they filter up to "Fred, Inc." In turn, "Fred, Inc." says OK, we'll get your attention "Barney, LLC", and shuts them off.

Essentially, the top level puts the pressure on their clients to take care of business or else.

I don't think it's realistic, but I bet it could work.

2. demonicume
    Posted 16 years ago #

its be cool, but there'll always be some place out there that doesnt care. then there'll be the people who claim they have some constitutional [insert document here] right to spam. i'm still not entirely sure how these people make money. i need someone to explain it to me like a 2nd grader. my little site just now got its first ranking on a real ranking site - how does screwing up my reputation with the search engine mafioso make them money? it might be a good idea. i maintain about 250 machines and server for a school - i've got space and bandwidth to burn. i wanna be rich too.

3. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Said it before, and I'll say it again.

Who's neck should the noose be put around? Those exploiting the system, aka the spammers, or the idiots out there clicking on their damn messages?

Hmmmm... me thinks we need to clean up the gene pool. Natural selection isn't fast enough.

4. demonicume
    Posted 16 years ago #

wait up, you mean people actually click that crap? THATS how their making their millions? boy did i overestimate the general populace. that might be why i spend my entire days walking from class room to classroom with a LiveCD running virus scans.

5. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Luna, it's called a IDP and it's happened before. Just doesn't happen that often anymore because too many large companies are now involved. Any time you see Hotmail or GMail get blocked for example, it's always a "mistake" even if it's done for a reason.

6. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

"wait up, you mean people actually click that crap?"

A small number do, even accidental clicks are probably enough. The marketing ideas behind it is even 1% return is "good".

Which is even more stupid.

7. booblik
    Posted 16 years ago #

guys,
    mail.ru is russian most famous mail server. it is one of the most popular russian places so blocking it is not a decision
    inbox.lv is very famous latvian mail server

in my wpmu host i has big number of spam accaunts from gmail. but 20% of the accounts from gmail is not spam!!! what i can do?

p.s. sorry 4 my bad english if it is bad =)

8. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Only thing you can do is sit on those blogs and nuke them when they spam. either that or block them.

Gotta admit I'm about to block gmail myself.

9. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

I consider myself lucky. I can block all of those like mail.ru and sit back and relax. Benefits of a niche "American" topic I guess. :D

10. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Good idea. I picked up a *.us domain that I had planned on doing mu with. I may think of that. :)

11. ekusteve
    Posted 16 years ago #

Yea...lucky here as well. I have a very specific target audience, so I've entered around 200 domains in the limit email registrations field and don't have to worry with blocking.

12. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

May want to just go ahead and block:

deny from 81.177.38.
    deny from 81.177.39.

Big comment spam source as well.

13. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

You know, I think I stuck those into apf the other day.

Or something close to those.

14. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

And we can add in 81.227.36.67 to that list. Getting hit hard by them.

aside: What the hell is it with all these 81.* ip addresses?

reedit: 81.227.36.155 as well. I just went ahead and blocked the whole class c.

You may want to search as I also found previous accounts at those IP addresses.

15. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

194.117.236.151 and 202.164.41.3 as well.

edit: 203.87.191.114 (I should run through my registration logs more often.)

and 63.217.30.178

16. byjournal
    Posted 16 years ago #

205.234.134.33 also is spammer's IP

17. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

18. cburell
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'll add these:

bodun1.org
    bodun2.org
    bodun3.org
    bodun4.org
    bodun5.org

They're all hitting me here in Korea. More to come - or is this thread still alive, and additions wanted?

19. Bike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Yes, any additions wanted, the same hit me too. By the way, Cburell, they left some splogs on your site, just saw your updated blog list.

f*cking spammers. So, that felt a little bit better :)

20. cburell
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks Bike :) I zapped them.

Now here's a question: is banning .info as simple as putting .info in the banned domains list, or does it need a *.info, or what?

Anyway, here's my full list so far (and I'm country-specific, niched education, so I don't mind banning .cn, .in, .ru domains):

yahoo.co.in
    alldvdonline.com
    yahoo.com.cn
    moviestree.com
    spa8traf.cn
    bodun2.org
    justmail.de
    geekmail.de
    bossmail.de
    freenet.de
    freakmail.de
    inbox.lv
    gmx.de
    web.de
    bodun1.org
    bodun3.org
    bodun4.org
    bodun5.org
    mail.ru
    globalDresses.info
    searchFragrance.info
    ukr.net
    bizfootwear.info
    directoryFootwear.info
    quickHats.info
    stopFragrance.info
    Music800.info
    tradeLeather.info
    Musicquick.info
    internetUniform.info
    Booksoffice.info
    internationalBath.info
    workLeather.info
    Booksglobal.info
    worldLeather.info
    Booksstop.info
    stopCosmetic.info
    cyberUniform.info
    searchDresses.info
    globalCosmetic.info
    800Hair.info
    directoryHats.info
    tradeHair.info
    Musicinternational.info
    portalChildren.info
    internationalCosmetic.info
    Booksquick.info
    findHats.info
    stopChildren.info
    auctionCosmetic.info
    internationalSkin.info
    interactiveUniform.info
    storeChildren.com
    workHats.info
    workFootwear.info
    quickMusic.info
    Auctionwork.info
    internationalClothing.info
    shopLeather.info
    worldHats.info
    tradeHats.info
    shopHair.info
    businessClothing.info
    industryHair.info
    800Footwear.info
    Bookswork.info
    businessSkin.info
    internationalChildren.info
    internationalFragrance.info
    quickClothing.info
    800Clothing.info
    auctionDresses.info
    shopFootwear.info
    findSkin.info
    industryFootwear.info
    industryHats.info
    worldSkin.info
    auctionChildren.info
    Hairinternet.info
    tradeSkin.info
    industryClothing.info
    Clothingbiz.info
    businessDresses.info
    Clothinginteractive.info
    directoryChildren.info
    businessBath.info
    Clothinginternet.info
    moviestree.com

21. ferasof
    Posted 16 years ago #

inbox.ru

22. indeepdark
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi,

I don't know if this may help, but I've made a .txt files with all domains listed in this thread, except those that were signaled as "main mail plateform". After deleting all the doublons, there are 165 domains name listed in here !

You can download it here (french version of the article) and here (english version).

You may wish to add some other domains, so just leave a comment here or on my site and I will update list !

(My idea is to make an easy paste and copy list, as it's quite long to do it from the forum... But tell me if I go wrong)

23. indeepdark
    Posted 16 years ago #

2 weeks with my new 165 domains list well formated, and NO splog registered since !

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by drmike
  • Latest reply from indeepdark