The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

public_html or WWW? (2 posts)

1. kishorebudha
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi,

I have successfully installed WPMU on my home computer. I use the WAMP5 Package. I installed it on the C:\wamp\www directory. Installation was a breeze and it works just fine.

I have taken up shared hosting with dailyrazor.com - where I intend to host the blog.

Q: Do I upload the files to the public_html or www directory?
    I have so far attempted installation from WWW. However, the blog has been giving me lot of grief. After installation (which I managed with some difficulty), I noticed that the files are copied to public_html directory as well. I faced the following problems:
    A) The URLs on the homepage were pretty freaky http://com/subalternmedia/wpmu..
    I fixed it by going into the site admin and making the changes
    B) The homepage did not have the default style till I enabled it manually. It appeared as plain text.
    C) The Richtext editor works fine on my localhost, but most buttons are not displayed on my hosting.

I did not face these problems at all with my local install. What could I be doing wrong?

2. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Q: Do I upload the files to the public_html or www directory?

Send them to public_html. I've never dumped them to the www directory.

Did you remember to *not* type in the www when it asked for your domain on install? that will give the error above. Also on soem setups, it gives that error anyway if you are installing in a subdirectory.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by kishorebudha
  • Latest reply from andrea_r