The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Share Your Home Page Theme (16 posts)

1. kishorebudha
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi,

Would anybody be kind enough to share their homepage themes please?

2. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

ha ha ha ha ha ha...

3. conpeo
    Posted 17 years ago #

corourke, dreamflicks.com already enough blogs to try show Categories/Tags in Home page.

4. aydos
    Posted 17 years ago #

wpmudev.org -> downloads -> themes

5. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I just modified a current theme and changed the colors. You don't need to complete write a new theme. Grab something that you like and just modify it to what you want.

6. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Well, grab something you like that's available, and not stolen from another site. ;)

7. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

I just found a theme I liked for the main page, and added the bits I wanted.

8. suleiman
    Posted 15 years ago #

lol...what the heck? when did this turn into spamming topic?

In any event, you spelled "Create" wrong jkornpong.

9. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

That's what I thought as well, Sul.

This topic has been spammed all to hell and back, not to mention hijacked from the original begging for someone to give the OP their home theme.

10. suleiman
    Posted 15 years ago #

The biggest issue I have with people looking for someone else's "home theme" isn't so much to do with the fact that they're looking to bum off someone else's work, but that it more than likely also means they don't have the know how to setup and power the different features that are on the homepage.

And then the question becomes, if you don't know how to do all of the above, what makes you think you'll be able to troubleshoot when things go sour and your users want to know why they can't upload an avatar/be a featured site, etc. etc.,

I'm the last person to tell someone they should ditch their dreams of becoming an MU-admin if they don't have some experience/certification, etc., I myself have certainly made ample use of plugins and scripts where I didn't completely understand the inner-workings of what was going on, but I still had a basic understanding of how to troubleshoot, tweak, and refine the code to get to where I needed to be.

My homepage is the result of months of learning, experimentation, and trial and error. The bottom line is, I'd be reluctant to share it regardless, but if you're asking and I'm giving, then more than likely it means you don't really know what you're doing when it comes to MU, and you'll want some support for the theme. I don't even have to hypothesize, it actually already happened to James when he released his old MU homepage as evidenced here: http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=903.

The bottom-bottom-line (for real this time folks ;), is that if you're serious about running MU, read lunabyte's words of caution here, but if you still want to do it, understand that eventually you will need a skill set that takes you above and beyond what's required for operating a normal installation of Wordpress. And your site homepage is likely to be one of your first bumps with that reality.

i.e., don't jump in the pool if you don't know how to swim. (But it's okay to jump if you know how to doggy paddle and are serious about learning how to swim ;)

Oh, and uh....</end rant>.

11. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

I second that... Really, all you ned to do in the simplest of terms is take an exisiting theme and copy & paste functions from exiting plugins to show the sitewide stuff.
    If you can't do that and you're not willing to learn... it's either going to be very expensive or very, very stressful and difficult.

12. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

Damn. I'll stand up and give that one a standing ovation.

13. demonicume
    Posted 15 years ago #

running a Mu powered site takes a huge amount of resources. I've had to bring on multiple admins - and things still get outta control. when i think about my coming upgrade (which will include a massive theme change and a move from subdir to subdomains), i've decided to stop being so damned cheap and simply hire devs that I respect to do the things i can't do myself. I could hack and cobble something together, which would take weeks more than I think my users should have to wait. OR I could just purchase solutions from people who KNOW what they're doing. Thereby supporting the Mu community and saving me a sh!tload of headaches. so, instead of bumming off of other people's hard work - find a theme you like and pay that guy to do something similar for you.

i understand that wordpress is free, but there's no reason for me to take advantage of the fact that most WP experts don't mind sharing their work. my skills arent yet where I can make a real code contribution to the community, but I can fund some projects that will help everyone out.

14. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 15 years ago #

Killed the posts that linked to the front pages of mu sites.

That dreamflicks guy really should upgrade. Anyone could hack his site in 2 minutes. He's using an ancient version of MU!

15. Bill008
    Posted 15 years ago #

What a load of absolute drivel
    I see the same people with the same attitude
    I come here to find info not crap
    Stop Grand standing

16. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

*sigh* Another person who wants everything handed to them.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by kishorebudha
  • Latest reply from tdjcbe