The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

How do I make plugins active by default? (64 posts)

1. briel
    Posted 16 years ago #

Relating to earlier comments in this topic concerning docs for open source projects, and specifically MU... I would argue that MU is suited primarily for the developer (or integrator) w/ a decent level of experience. This is especially true w/ MU. MU is a fairly complicated package, and requires a learning curve even for those experienced in PHP/MYSQL/etc.

I've found that the code *is* the documentation in many cases, when (as is often the case) "real" documentation doesn't exist. My typical sequence w/ looking for an answer is 1.) codex first, 2.) then google search, 3.) and then code. It's great when solutions and answers exist w/o needing to look at code (it's faster), but many times just not there.

I would not recommend that someone without PHP/Mysql experience attempt to implement MU. Would be a rough ride IMO, and probably would need to rely on others to explain a lot. That warning received when installing MU, stating that you should go to wordpress.com if you aren't fluent in PHP, is a well stated.

That said, you really can't learn w/o getting your feet wet :) So, if a person is interested, it can't hurt to install MU and play around!

2. KDesigns
    Posted 15 years ago #

My only question is... Why isn't WPMUPluginCommander included in the WPMU package? I've spent a bunch of time searching today (that's the only reason I'm responding to an old post) on having site-wide plug-ins for WPMU. This is the easiest answer I've found and does exactly what I wanted. Why isn't this control default???

3. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

Because most folks don't want/need it, and it better serves the community as it is as a plugin.

4. boonika
    Posted 15 years ago #

I would also like that but I think that donncha is more focused on how to implement the most recent single WP changes into WPMU. Btw, Plugin Commander is nothing more than another plugin... very useful one, of course.

About this Topic