The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

WHY Wordpress MU is not one stable multi user blog (13 posts)

1. flowers
    Posted 17 years ago #

WPMU?

No Global Categories you have to search to try to install some plugin to use some kind of global categories for all and then it doesn't work again.
    Why this MU script is live when it can't be used for the reason it is made. Multi user system with good navigation and categories???

2. corourke
    Posted 17 years ago #

I think it is stable but global cats should be part of core. Otherwise it's just an easily administrated blog installer.

3. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Everybody has to start somewhere, you know. OS X wasn't written in one night, and MU won't be either.

4. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

But once it was written, it was written oh so well, wasn't it lunabyte?

5. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Oh you bet your life it is.

10.5 is going to even further raise the bar. Of course the lemmings will still line up to jump off the cliff, but that's OK. Let them. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

6. corourke
    Posted 17 years ago #

I now working as a system engineer at Intel. Part of my job is taking bleeding edge hardware and installing Leopard on it. I <3 my job.

As for the global cats: I can wait (it's why I haven't added the plugin version yet)

7. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

Corouke that's so awesome man. I'm sure that you're bound by a million NDA's, but I'm just curious, do you guys get the version of Leopard with the rumored "top secret" features built in? Or is it the stripped down version that the devs get.

Also, just how fast is that bad boy? ;)

8. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

"Otherwise it's just an easily administrated blog installer."

Which is exactly the reason it was made...

9. corourke
    Posted 17 years ago #

Andrea yeah that is what it is, however this very site refers to it as a community tool as well. Show me a community that doesn't actually communicate betwixt it's members.

Also Leopard is just devs copy as of yet.

10. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

What I don't understand is why the poster is calling it unstable simply because they don't have global cats?

Sort of like calling the entire US evil because of a bank robbery in Texas.

Some of us have worked out how to have global categories. Just because you can't doesn't mean WPMu isn't what you think it isn't.

11. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Exactly Doc. I've got global cat running on a local dev install, including using full urls (site.tld/tags/the_tag/).

Also, you can create a community with it. It is what you make of it, and that's that. It took me all of about an hour to implement a "friends" list, and also allow logged in users (that have the plugin enabled on their account) to see a link to add someone to their list when visiting a blog that has it enabled (and opts to display the link).

I can display the most recent (X) number of posts from the network, and I also have added an option where all posts are not only posted in their respective blog, but also archived in a single blog.

It is what you make of it. It's like stuffing Ford for making the Mustang simply because someone thinks it should be just like a Lamborghini, or slogging the Linux community because they don't understand how to use the system. It's ridiculous. So, faulting MU for someone's own shortcomings isn't right either.

12. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

uh, my own MU install is quite the comminity without the use of global tags, so... what luna said.

Also, the people who write the rest of the pages on this site are not the people here in the forums (the trenches) with the day-to-day stuff. Some bits actually contradict what we (the users and testers) have written up in the codex and also here in the forums based on what we discovered as we use it.

So yeah. There's a big wad of differnece in what the PR spin says MU can do, and what it does out of the box.

*murmers the oft-used "but that's what plugins are for!"*

(methinks I have read too much wank and snark today)

13. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

(It's 5 o'clock somewhere. Time to catch up.)

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by flowers
  • Latest reply from lunabyte