The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

How to Link back to MU Blog start page? (24 posts)

1. kishorebudha
    Posted 17 years ago #

Blogger page = http://example.com/blogger

How can one link to http://example.com on the blogger themes without having to hardcode it http://example.com

kishore

2. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Maybe you should review the template tags on the codex.

3. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Actually this brings to mind a question I had that I'll go ahead and ask.

On my own WPMu install, I've been planning as my next addition to go back through and work on the themes, adding in additional Page Templates, nextpage support, widgets and the like. I;ve thought about releaseing them into the WPMu community.

A couple questions though.

- Think we should do up a themes-wpmu.wordpress.net? I would rather do it theme by theme. The pack idea is cool but it could be a bit much for those who are just starting and don't realize the work that goes into WPMu'ing a theme. Overlap between themes is also an issue.

- Hosted by such-and-such in the footers. This is my main question. I know that by using the get_option function, we can pull the blog name and the URL out of the individual blogs. I'm guessing that we can pull this information out of wp_1. Kind of a pain to hardcode that, especially since it may not be blog #1.

4. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Item a)
    Not a bad idea if coding standards could be monitored and enforced. I know I usually put anywhere from 4-16 hours into a theme to "properly" convert it. Depends on what shape the theme is in originally.

Some require no additional modifications other than my personal ones (header, footer, paged comments, ajax comments, captcha, etc). Then again, some don't even validate out of the box, or have so much extra crap that it takes a while to sort it out, or are so full of typos and url's without a trailing slash, or full of spammy links in the footer, or link to sites that don't exist or have been moved, or useless blocks of 100's of lines of commented text in the source, and the list goes on.

Item b)
    For me, I think the most simple way would be to stick a couple of definitions in functions php, and call it that way. There would be 2, where one is for the site name and the other would be for the site link. Hey, it's 2 less database calls, and simply editing a little text there wouldn't be difficult even for a novice.

The less db calls, the better. Especially when there's a lot of sites involved. If it's only a couple for a few friends someone probably doesn't really care. As a plus to it the db calls by default with MU have been cut in half out of the box, which is much appreciated if you happen to skim this, Donncha. ;)

5. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

I think there's a site_id tag you can pull that hauls the main URL.

6. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 17 years ago #

For the link to the site, use the $current_site object. It has domain, path, and site_name elements. I could have sworn I used that in the default template didn't I? (Checks, yes!)

lunabyte - db call reductions have been the result of work by many people, but the sentiment is appreciated!

7. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

/aside

Cool by me Donncha. If there were a list (unless I'm blind) I'd thank em all, but at least the "boss" spreads the love around.

Has it been considered to stick the options in an array, and call them once instead of individually? Not sure exactly what the difference in overhead would be, but that might help cut them down even further.

To keep from killing the "current system" the function could be written so that it converts the parameter and returns the right value from the array, so then it wouldn't take much to recode, and the get_option stuff would still work and not break. Then again, who knows. There's always a trade off, and it might be better to just grab it as needed.

8. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 17 years ago #

Almost all the get_option() stuff is preloaded at the start of a WP request and fetched from memory after that, If you use memcached it works really well. So, in effect, it's already getting the data from an array!

9. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

For the link to the site, use the $current_site object. It has domain, path, and site_name elements. I could have sworn I used that in the default template didn't I? (Checks, yes!)

But isn't that the blog you're looking at? I'm wanting the function calls to get the URL and name for the main blog.

10. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

True that.

What better testbed than wp.com, huh? Excellent little tidbits in the presentation from BarCamp earlier this week. Some I hadn't even considered yet on the hardware side of it, and then some of the software implementations as well.

Also Matt's mention of getting Domas to groom the queries is cool. All combined is making for a great server environment. Oh well, off to look more at splitting up DB's again. :D

11. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

This shoudl do it shouldn't it?

<?php $current_site = get_current_site(); ?>
    <a href="http://<?php echo $current_site->domain . $current_site->path ?>"><?php echo $current_site->site_name ?></a>

I know what you're saying re: themes but I reckon that people - on the whole - want to do as little work as possible for the maximum possible rewards :) So packs are infinitely preferable to individual themes.

Cheers, James

12. corourke
    Posted 17 years ago #

I disagree Farms. Packs are problematic once you've gotten one pack updating and keeping all of your changed files becomes that much more cumbersome. I like the idea of wpmutheme specific site much more. Many of us try and add a new theme every so often and being able to grab one theme seems better.
    Granted there's no reason that as the theme site grows we couldn't maintain a weekly zip file of all the current themes too. Best of both worlds.

13. KKWangen
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'd love to have theme viewer for WPMU themes, as I rather like to pick one and one theme than using a package.

But I'm not sure how a project like that should be maintained, - when is a theme ready for MU?

- Only that it works?
    - That it works and are widget ready?
    - That it works, widget ready, have link to the bloghost?

And themes should be displayed in a MU installation, so that any MU spesific functions works.

14. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Goes back to my mention of coding standards. Something would have to be put in place to ensure that they are maintained.

IMHO, a theme should :

1. Be MU compatible (obviously).
    2. Validate against W3C.
    3. NOT have spammy links and sponsored by junk.
    4. Be widget ready, since it's compatible either way.
    5. Maintain a consistent login/info area.
    6. Be free of spelling and grammar errors.
    7. Have a consistent footer. Such as left aligned the 2 following lines:

(C){Year joined}-{Current Year} SiteName(link to home). All rights reserved
      Part of the {Primary Site Name(linked)} Network.

And right aligned the two following lines: