The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

K2 and Pretty Permalinks (6 posts)

1. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

Now let's see if any of you can wrap your head around this marvel of modern bizzarity.

I run K2 on my installation. It works great. Even got the header upload function working.

The problem is that live search isn't working. Well, no, that isn't exactly right. It's working on every blog except for one.

Disable plugins you say? Why, but I have. In fact after exporting all the posts from the disabled blog and importing them into a new test blog, replicating the exact same Sidebar Widgets, and activating the exact same plugins, the Live Search functionality is still broken on the one site but working on the demo.

Doesn't make an ounce of sense does it? No. It doesn't.

Enter Pretty Permalinks, aka the woe to all my woes.

With permalinks set to /%category%/%postname%/ live search and rolling archives are bent as in broken, cracked as in smashed.

I could change it to /%postname%/, as I had done earlier, but this befuddles the engine when a postname and page name carry the same name.

So I'm stuck. Tried upgrading to the very latest bleeding edge 0.9.5 version of K2, but that throws errors and I throw slurs.

Did anyone else experience this annoyance with their K2? If so did they resolve it? And if so did that make them feel all warm and gooey inside?

I'm just looking for that same loving feeling.

2. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Oh honey, I cannot help in any way other than to offer a fresh-made pot of tea. :) I do enjoy reading your posts like this though.

3. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Can't say I'm a fan of K2, and I don't use that particular permalink structure. So, I'm of no help either.

4. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

luna, what prey tell, what permalink structure do you use?

5. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Depends on my mood.

Usually something like /%category%/%postname%.html, or /%category%/%year%/%postname%/.

Sometimes I feel like messing with peoples minds and use /%category%/%postname%.cfm, /%category%/%postname%.jsp, or I even did /%category%/%postname%.aspx once.

All it's doing is making it look pretty with an extension on it, so it doesn't really matter what's there. It could be .pl, .xml, .fred, whatever. The headers sent internally tell the browser to expect text/html, so what's visual to the user in a link isn't really relevant.

Make a test site, take out the ping to pingomatic so it doesn't draw traffic, and then play with it. Just keep a window open with the admin screen just in case something gets really fouled up.

Can't say if one is better than the other, but it's fun to hack with.

6. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

I just found this link: http://wordpress.org/support/topic/53519?replies=5

I'm switching back to /%postname%/ baby!

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by suleiman
  • Latest reply from suleiman