The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Solution: Domain hosting (66 posts)

1. honewatson
    Posted 15 years ago #

Forget that.

Use this instead:

http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/Multi-Site-Manager

Make sure you select 'Clone' and clone your main site. Select all the clone options except 'Site_Name'

2. bikerjeg
    Posted 15 years ago #

That's what I've tried but I am just not able to get the newly created site to work. I get an error: "No WPMU site defined on this host. If you are the owner of this site, please check Debugging WPMU for further assistance." When I try creating the new TLD domain with the mu-multisite plugin

I even tried following your instructions about what to clone but no luck

3. bikerjeg
    Posted 15 years ago #

EDIT:
    I got it to work. And I was lucky enough to have the upload function work on the new blog. Is there a way to create a blog with a different admin and without access to Site admin functions? In other words I want an addon blog but without being able to create addon blogs on that TLD.

Sorry for the double post but I wasn't able to edit the post above

4. Trent
    Posted 15 years ago #

Since it is a new "complete site", you have to have at least one site admin. It is easiest if it is the same one, but you could create a new one and delete the old one from the "clone". Then, create a new user for the addon site and make sure you have wildcard DNS setup on that new addon domain (through host) and it works.

I have several addon domains that all have their own site-admin interface and can have blog creation turned on or off on a domain by domain basis.

Trent

5. bikerjeg
    Posted 15 years ago #

Ok, will this method allow me to create a new admin that will not have access to the Site admin area? It's a little hard to explain, but I want an addon blog with a TLD but without access to any of the stuff the main admin account has access to. I have been testing things out but I can't seem to get the right configuration for this since the newly created blog has access to full admin area.

6. Trent
    Posted 15 years ago #

Access to the site-admin things is through the permissions of the user. I am assuming this is for someone else that you don't want having admin access? If that is the case, use the site-admin to create a new user, just give them administrative access on the main blog (TLD) and they (or you) can use that user and just don't login with the site-admin user account.

Is that what you mean?

Trent

About this Topic