The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Admin or db on different server (10 posts)

1. emmylover
    Posted 17 years ago #

Can I run an Mu admin or MySql db from localhost? In other words, I'd like to totally protect one or the other on my local server and have the other run from hosted?

2. emmylover
    Posted 17 years ago #

Admin files on local, database on hosted. Ok that structure is not logical...

What would you do?

3. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Well, one, I would search the forums as it's come up many times how to do a local install.

It's just a matter of changing the name of the MySQL server within the config file. Do note that your host may not allow access to the MySQL server on their box from outside. You may want to clear it with them first.

4. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

but I can't see the sense in trying to separate this (splitting to localhost sounds totally crazy - if you permit me this remark), for having one part locally, you need a very good, stable and reliable connection at home, and if you can afford that, you could simply use hosting with another provider instead of hosting half of your wpmu locally....

just my 2cents, but if you explain (the problem) why exactly you want to split into hosting / locally maybe someone else can suggest another solution

5. emmylover
    Posted 17 years ago #

I checked- they'd rather not. Sounds like an idea not really worth pursuing at this point.

6. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I kind of was wondering that as well. While I don't see any issue with multiple servers, (ie: wp.com's billion or so) they should be on the same internal network and be connected in a directly line to one another. I know my own hosting network, pretty much everything goes to one of the routers and then out or back to one of the backup boxes or another server.

Then you also have to deal with the issue about traffic getting hacked via transit, increases in bandwidth which will mean increase in costs probably, and privacy issue with your clients since you're removing their data from where they expect it to be.

Running something out via another network is just asking for trouble.

7. emmylover
    Posted 17 years ago #

I actually already have a local install that went very well with info from this forum. I was thinking of wiping it and starting with MU 1.1 since this project is about to rampup. I had read a bit about doing that with my oscommerce sites...

I appreciate your advice- saved me time and energy!!I think my connection is not up to serving more to outside than I am now (banners and some misc graphics), and I'm not real thrilled with my serving speed either although no one's complained.

I was looking for a security strategy that involved protecting all my eggs here at the store.

8. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I do a database backup off of CPanel every day. It's killing my own bandwidth but the data is safe.

9. emmylover
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks drmike- sometimes ya just gotta hear somebody say it..

10. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Not a problem. :)

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by emmylover
  • Latest reply from drmike