The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Multi-Multi-User Blogging at Edublogs Premium (15 posts)

1. Farms3
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hiya All,

Phew - I'm just about to head off to the sack but before I go I've got something pretty cool to share.

Edublogs Premium - http://edublogs.org/services

Any user signing up gets a configured WPMU install all to themselves... it's not *true* WPMU-MU but I'm pretty happy with it as I can now offer free blogs AND (non-free) multi-user blogging platforms through an automated system.

Here's where I'm coming from in a bit more detail: http://incsub.org/blog/2007/introducing-edublogs-premium

It's taken a long time and I would never have been able to manage it without the help of all you good people - can't tell you how grateful I am.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers, James

2. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

Congrats :)

3. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Coolness. :)

4. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Very cool James. I'll drink to that. :D

Been looking at something similar myself, just haven't had the time to "get 'er done" yet. :-\

5. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Farms3, if you see this, you have one of your clients asking for help over in wp.org land.

http://wordpress.org/support/topic/104538

Just an FYI.
    -drmike

6. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanx drmike... I'm Farms, Farms2 or Farms3 depending on my state of login :)

Cheers, James

7. quenting
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm not sure but I'll ask, how does this differ from a separate MU install for each premium account ?

8. quenting
    Posted 17 years ago #

double post sorry

9. Farms3
    Posted 17 years ago #

That's pretty much all it is - but they're very configured, come with great plugins and an automated set-up process - as well as upgrades, support etc. etc. It's basically WPMU hosting on steroids - specifically for education.

10. stewdio
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hey farms, you don't happen to have a development blog running do you?

I'd be very interested in learning how others develop their individual setup.

Nice job, and congrats!

11. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Stewie:

I run a local copy, and use the same domain name with the tld set to .loc instead of .com or .net. I set up a vhost for it, and then add in a couple test subdomains as well.

Then I play and tweak and whatever until I'm somewhat satisfied. 100% satisfied is a thing of myth, to me, but that's probably just my nature.

12. honewatson
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hey I just checked out edublogs and I was highly impressed. No wonder theres so many users.

13. Farms2
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanx :) We've got over 75K across the sites now...

14. zappoman
    Posted 16 years ago #

James, do you mind sharing your deployment details?

How many servers?

Are you doing anything special to split your DB server up, or just running on a single instance of MySQL?

How many web servers?
    What's the spec of them?
    How many hits are you getting a day?

15. Farms2
    Posted 16 years ago #

No worries... two at the mo - both P4 duals RAM'd up as far as possible (4 gig on both I think).

Edublogs.org is currently running over 43K blogs and that's had a dbase split from a professional (much needed), the others have needed signup fixes but learnerblogs (24k+) needs a dbase split soon too.

Will get some hits details sometime soon - as I allow my users to use Analytics it limits my capacity to grab stats except off the server, and I have those stats turned off for better performance.

I'm looking forward to two years (in August) and cracking 100K... not sure which'll come first but I'll do a complete rundown then.

BTW, that's just the free blogs.

About this Topic